CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 04, 2003, 06:37 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

As lazaa says IE has more holes then swiss cheese.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

I still want to know the difference from a users perspective between Mozilla, Opera and Crazy Browser.

We all know IE's shortcomings.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 07:55 PM
Veteran

[b]Mozilla[/b]

[i]Some info & Comparison[/i]

from what little I remember about Opera. Mozilla has these four letter word advantages:
Free
Size

Mozilla is also more standards compliant and noticably faster (Mozilla Firebird, at least). It's also open-source and features many excellent plug-ins that Opera lacks.

As just a straight browser comparison, Mozilla (Firebird) is an open-source project that is being developed much more rapidly than the more commercial Opera, and has standards support that is a bit ahead of Opera. However, for the vast majority of website it doesn't make much of a difference. Mozilla does render faster, like emagius indicated, and Mozilla Firebird is also free - although Opera is free, you get stuck with adware unless you buy the commercial release.

[b]Crazy Browser[/b]

[i]Disadvantges[/i]

* Right click on a link gives an "Open in New Window" that really opens in a new tab. One can't choose between opening in a new tab vs opening in a new window. With Mozilla that choice is available.
* Running on top of IE5.5 sp2 its threading does not feel as finely granular as Mozilla does. It gets into modes where for several seconds its not responsive while it does some operation. For instance in Mozilla if one page is loading slowly one can click quickly to switch to a different tab and read the page already loaded in the second tab while waiting for the first tab's new page to finish loading. Well, Crazy Browser will delay many seconds before making the switch. This poor ability to switch to view something else while an operation is happening is similar straight IE5.5. I haven't spent enough time yet with IE6 to say whether its ability to switch btw threads while doing tasks in one thread is any more finely grained.
* The "Close Current" button which closes the current tab is small and right next two buttons that close more than just the current tab. Its too easy to click the wrong button and lose a lot of tab windows. On the other hand its "Undo" functions will let you undo the close of tabbed window and even larger sets of undos of closed windows.

Its tabbed window behavior has some differences with Mozilla but nothing hard to adjust to. If you are currently using IE the Crazy Browser downoad is less than 700k and is worth a try. Its not going to replace Mozilla as my chief browser.

Last edited by copyright; Sep 04, 2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 08:00 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Thanks copyright, that's what I was after.
Old Sep 04, 2003, 08:00 PM
Veteran

NP
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:31 AM

No matter how good the browser is as a peice of software I believe this cannot be the primary determinant in your decision. Consider the fact that most webdesigners optimize pages for the more popular browsers like IE. The page being displayed correctly is a very important factor for me. However if the page was intended to be displayed as 6 pop ups spamming my browser this would be a problem.

The solution I have found is proxomitron. Once I found it, being without it was like browsing naked.