CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox > Xbox Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 09, 2003, 02:42 AM

Exclamation Is a MOD-Chip really needed???

sponsored links

After doing much research I too like alot of you out there have stumbled upon the CHAMELEON + ADAPTER mod chip for the xbox in hope to play all the xgames out there, but after ordering it a friend of mine let me in on a little secret... you DON"T need ANY mod chip in order to access all of the goodies the microsoft has impelled on the xbox... there is a really easy way (if you are good with a soilder iron) to bypass all the protection on the xbox and and still be able to put a switch on it to play regular xbox live games. Learning this before spending money for something I don't need is a plus, but at least now I know... sortof like the dvd controler that they insist you need right. So heres to all those brillant minds out there who continue to fight the fight against market cornering... CHEERS
Old Sep 10, 2003, 03:13 PM

nope, sorry fella, you can bypass the mod chip and mod the xbox bios itself but you cant attach a switch to the bios itself. So everything would work but you would not be able to get on xbox live
Old Sep 10, 2003, 07:39 PM

I beg to differ with you here.... that is how I have my xbox modded now.... with a switch and I still use my live... you should look into this a little more.... it's come a long way... and I know I'm not the only one doing it this way.... my whole area is as well, so here's one to put in your books.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 06:44 AM

Yes, I must agree with midnitesky, because mind is done the same way. How it's done I really don't know but check out xbox-scene.com. A guy I know did it for me.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:29 AM

Any one else out there care to share on this subject?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:21 AM
Veteran

older xboxs (v1,v1.1) have an 8mbit bios chip (1MEG) so if you have a box of either of those versions then you can have a multi bios tsop with a switch. the switch simply tells the chip wich bank to boot from. (pre-historic x2? ) if you have a newer xbox (1.2,1.3) then the onboard bios has been downgaded to 4mbit (256k) and will only hold, of course, one 256k bios image. This was more of a cost cutter then an 'anti-piracy' tactic by microsoft. if anybody deals alot or fiddles with xboxs on a regular basis. just look at the differences in mother boards through the generations.
1.0 - BEEFY motherboard. loads of capacitors and the usb daughterboard
1.1 - no usb board, fewer capacitors
1.2/1.3 - as 1.1, no usb board, but EVEN FEWER capacitors and a slight design change, with, shall we say cheaper parts.

all in all, the end user is ignorant (ignorant means doesn't know or unaware, so that's not a bad thing) of all this and the xbox still does what it's supposed to do. play xbox games and dvd's with the remote small history lesson for everyone