CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 18, 2003, 03:38 AM

Default Copying DVD's and PS2's with toast

sponsored links

[B]HELP[/B]
I know there are posts all over the forum with bits of info here and there and I guess I'm just looking for a simple answer to a not so simple question. I just bought a BenQ(Acer) DVD+RW drive for 100 bucks. I would like to make backups of my dvd's and ps2 games. I have been burning games and cd's for quite some time, on my ps1 and ps2 with the knife trick with no prob. But now I'm having difficulty.

[B]1) DVD's[/B]
I tried copying them using DVDBackup and toast 5.2. That did not work in my ps2 or Panasonic dvd player, but it did work when loaded back into my mac and open the TOS folder manually with DVD PLAYER. I then tried a direct copy from dvd to dvd-r at 2x and that seemed to work a little. It plays in my dvd player and my ps2 a bit, but then gets really choppy, I guess that is the encryption at work. So do you think it was just bad media or do I need to burn slower, possibly from the HD?

[B]2) PS2's[/B]
I normally just make a straight copy with toast and have very little problems, but not this time. It looks like most of you in the forums are using dvd-r, has anyone had any luck with dvd+r? (what brand?) I'm using AR2 as a boot disk. I've read that it does boot cd's just fine, but does not mention dvdr, do I have to have Swap Magic to boot dvdr?

I've read all kinds of other crap, double swapping, DeCss and all that stuff, I don't even wanna touch my version of Virtual PC if possible.
So any Mac users out there with a[U] PS2 a G4 and a DVD+RW burner[/U] have any advice for a dvd-burning newbie, please clue me in.

Adonis2116 on AIM/AOL
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:44 AM
Veteran

Sounds like its a media problem
what brand of disk are you using
Also what are the specs on the mac you have

or

Some dvd players and ps2s wont play dvd+rs
Usually only version 5 and higher ps2 will read dvd+r some version 1-4s will but most dont read them well or at all

What brand of burner do you have

I can make dvd+r disks but never read them after I make them on my mac I have a sony dru500a that does + and - R/RW I like it but I just cant re-backup my +r disks that I make.

I also have a pioneer A03 that is a -R/RW drive and it works well

Last edited by ps2daddy; Sep 18, 2003 at 07:53 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 04:05 PM

Thanks Ps2Daddy,
I just successfully copied a dvd+r and was able to watch on my dvd player. But yea, it's the weirdest thing that my G4 OS X 10.2.6 700MB won't mount it. Lemme know if ya find out anymore info about that.
My PS2 also played the dvd just fine, so I'm assuming it should play dvd+r games. I think I just need a copy of swap magic, maybe I can find an .img of it somewhere.
I just bought a BenQ (Acer) DW004 dvd+RW. It was only 100 bucks but I just found a Pioneer A06 for 160, thinkin' about takin' mine back, what do you think? Oh yeah, I'm using Fuji dvd+r's

Thanks again.

Last edited by adonis2116; Sep 18, 2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by adonis2116 [/i]
[B]Thanks Ps2Daddy,
I just successfully copied a dvd+r and was able to watch on my dvd player. But yea, it's the weirdest thing that my G4 OS X 10.2.6 700MB won't mount it. Lemme know if ya find out anymore info about that.
My PS2 also played the dvd just fine, so I'm assuming it should play dvd+r games. I think I just need a copy of swap magic, maybe I can find an .img of it somewhere.
I just bought a BenQ (Acer) DW004 dvd+RW. It was only 100 bucks but I just found a Pioneer A06 for 160, thinkin' about takin' mine back, what do you think? Oh yeah, I'm using Fuji dvd+r's

Thanks again. [/B]
I would go for the pioneer if it were me

If you can play + r movies then you are ok for playing + r games

Also you have to buy a swap magic disk it has the boot sector on it this cant be replicated
if they could do this then we could just add this onto our backup games.

The swap magic will work for about 93% of all your dvd-rs If you ever change your mind about a chip lemme know I know a very good installer
Old Sep 19, 2003, 02:53 AM

Yeah, Stupid boot sector...
I would like some info on a good chip though. I'm not very handy with a soldering iron and have nuked a PS1 with my friend before. If I do get a chip I would need my PS2 modded for me. If you know anyone in Cali that can do this please let me know.
Also, which chip do you recomend? Last I read, none of them are 100%, some still need patches, swap tricks, boot disks and other nucenses, which do you use? I'll probably get one when it's more cost-effective for me. Some chips are around 80 ducks, then paying someone to install it, and possible shipping charges while I send my PS2 to someone I don't even know, Tell me about it right!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by adonis2116 [/i]
[B]Yeah, Stupid boot sector...
I would like some info on a good chip though. I'm not very handy with a soldering iron and have nuked a PS1 with my friend before. If I do get a chip I would need my PS2 modded for me. If you know anyone in Cali that can do this please let me know.
Also, which chip do you recomend? Last I read, none of them are 100%, some still need patches, swap tricks, boot disks and other nucenses, which do you use? I'll probably get one when it's more cost-effective for me. Some chips are around 80 ducks, then paying someone to install it, and possible shipping charges while I send my PS2 to someone I don't even know, Tell me about it right! [/B]
www.precisionmods.com and www.psx-tech.com does them in Cali

If you want me to do it I am in Missouri I'v modded 350-400 ps2s
I charge $70 for installs

Messiah 2 or DMS3 are the ones to go for right now
www.foundmy.com has the cheapest prices I have seen for these chips.

This is where I go my messiah 2 from $37

With either of these chips you can play any ps2 dvd,import dvd, ps2 dvd-r, import dvd-r, and (ditto for all the ps2 cd/cd-r)

The only exception is mod protected import psone games (these games are few and far between and these can be patched and if you really want to play them it takes about 10 secs once you have the image on your hard drive, and it can be done on a mac with no problem)

Precisionmods also sell a $30 add-on to even eliminate this problem too.

Last edited by ps2daddy; Sep 19, 2003 at 09:26 AM.