CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Default question about print quality on digital pictures

sponsored links

Hello. I wanted to print a good picture I got of my new baby girl. Th eproblem is it's a 466kb file and I want to print it on a 8.5"x11" piece of photo paper. I have an Olympus 2.0 megapixel camera. Will the print come out ok?? I've printed larger TIFF Files on the same paper and they came out great. I didnt know if the JPEG file would be good to print though.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:42 PM

id give it a try.. there are a lot of variables involved with picture quality and i can only suggest trying to see the results.. Jpeg although a higher form of compression can yield decent pics...
Old Sep 20, 2003, 04:09 AM

What Photo editing software are you using?

Personally, I would size the picture to the size you require and make the dpi about 300. If you have an option when you save in jpeg for the amount of quality you require (such as in Photoshop) choose the maximum. Your file size will increase, but you should have a fairly acceptable picture. (dependant on origional image). I find this works for me.
I generally start of with an image size of about 1.2mb, from this, I have resized and had pictures printed up to 6feet x 4feet..................yes, you did read the size correctly 6x4 feet!

Regards,
Andy.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 02:51 PM
Veteran

i am using photoshop 7. The pic is about 466kb (it was taken accidentally on HQ on my Olympus 2.0 megapixel camera)....and of course since it was taken accidentally on the lower setting - it OF COURSE had to be the best picture I took lol. The picture right now is in jpeg - as opposed to TIFF in which I usually print.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 03:59 PM
Veteran

The quality maybe of lesser quality, but since you are using photoshop 7, use the features to enhance to photo, photoshop is probably the best photo tool out there, jasc paintshop pro is good also.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 06:18 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

The problem you have is that JPG's deteriorate every time you play around with them, TIFF's don't. If you are going to work with the JPG, do it on a copy and not the original.