CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 27, 2003, 05:50 AM
Veteran

Default problem with forwarding ports (server)

sponsored links

i have a mentor router and i dont think it allowed port forwarding...
this is the only menu that looks similar to what ive been told to do, but i can only enter ports and not ip numbers....

i have set up a server on xp, it works via l********ocalhost and the 192.168 xxx ip but i cant get it to work through my main ip (wan ip) in my router menu. how can i get it too work, any help much appreciated

[IMG]***********.raine-tech.com/images/60407740.jpeg[/IMG]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Hi ThE SnAkE,

From the look of that screen it looks like exactly the right place for port forwarding through NAT. I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean about setting the server up and it working on localhost. What server are you running, have you set it up on the standard port? are the Q's that need answering, just a server doesn't mean anything I'm afraid.

Basically in the screen you showed, the port of the server you are running goes in the Mapping Ports section, such as 20 and 21 for an FTP server, and the Server IP section contains the internal IP of the PC which has the server running on it, then just a tick in Enabled, and you're away.

A few more details as requested above if you're still not sure.

HTH, T.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 06:40 PM
Veteran

hi m8 i have done it and it works thanks, but there is one more problem im having, my isp has a dynamic ip address so it changes all the time only slightly.

in the forwarding port of the router, i can only select port 80 once (web server) and the ip digit to go with it, when my ip changes i have to manually change it, but of course i cant do this all the time, is there way round this.

cheers
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:07 PM
Veteran

hi again,

good to know you sorted it. i'm not sure of the exact details of your router but in general a setup of this kind would be set up with the following.

an external IP assigned by your ISP, and usually dynamic
a router with all pc's connected to it
any pc or pc's connected should have an internal ip address, either static or assigned dynamically by the dhcp of the router.

hopefully this is the case here.... if it is the best thing to do is turn off dhcp on your router, assign your pc or pc's static IP addresses and configure the IP address box in the screen above to the internal IP you have assigned, not the IP that your ISP has assigned.

obviously as an addendum to this, there comes a problem, similar to the one you are talking about whereby people connecting to your web server will have to change the IP that they connect to. For this i would advise using a dynamic dns assigner such as www.no-ip.com

if you are still unsure of this is not how your network is set up, then best to give us a brief rundown of your config.

hth, T.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:18 PM
Veteran

my computer is connected to a router and shared with 2 other comps. the computer with my webserver is the main one with the router connected.

im confused but ill try give u much info as possible. in my lan connection my ip is 192.168.1.X (The x varies at times) so in the router interface settings, i have put in the last number of my lan ip (as i have been told) i.e. "2" but and put the port "80" this will make my site work, but when my lan ip changes, my site wont work as it still looking for the number "2" and i cant type the same port "80" more then once in my router interface settings

in my network connections all ips have been set to automatic (optain an ip address automatically) do i need to change anything here?

i have registered at no-ip.com with an i.p my external one 81.xxx.xxx.xxx as i cant put in lan ips, but this doesnt update my router settings.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 06:50 AM
Veteran

hi there,

you're basically there m8, just make sure you can turn off DHCP on your router, as it is this which is causing the problem by changing your LAN IP, and set each PC with a static IP, in other words change the setting which says "optain an ip address automatically". Once you have done that you're LAN PC's will remain static as 192.168.1.X as you'll be done.

HTH, T.