CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 28, 2003, 03:50 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

m8 do u know the bit where it says "optain an ip address automatically" do i change that to my internal ip or external i.p i.e. 192.168 or the 81.xx.xxx.xxx (theres an advanced setting in the network connection, regarding dhcp do i need touch that)

i found this bit in my router and checked it off.

LAN Settings

You can enable DHCP to dynamically allocate IP addresses to your client PCs.

IP Address 192.168.1.1 ( i can edit this???)
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
The Gateway acts as DHCP Server Enable *****(this bit i checked off)
Old Sep 28, 2003, 04:47 PM
Veteran

Ok,

your router will have it's own internal IP, probably 192.168.1.1, as you posted above. You can tell this because it is probably the address you entered in IE to get the screenshot you posted, assuming you got there in IE..... but in general 192.168.1.1 is the IP of the router so don't change it.

the other bit in the router " The Gateway acts as DHCP Server Enable *****(this bit i checked off)" is correct as you have now changed it.

So that's the router sorted.................. hurray the crowd goes wild

next to the PC's.
on each PC set it to "use the following IP Address" and type in your internal address. I would advise using 192.168.1.2 , then 192.168.1.3 , then 192.168.1.4 for the 3 PC's with the .2 PC being the one acting as a server. The subnet mask should fill itself in and the Default Gateway on each PC should be 192.168.1.1

the only other bit I can see about DHCP in the network properties is in the WINS tab and regards Netbios. This can be left as "default".

the only other thing to add is make sure the forwarding IP in the router for port 80 is set to 192.168.1.2 , the PC with the web server running, and all should be sweet.......

and mines a Pint of Lager if it works

Cheers, T.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Default hi m8

i did exactly what you said, but i couldnt access the internet on all computers without changing the proxy server in the lan settings, then i could browse...

am i meant to type something in this setting? i dont really like using proxies as it slows down your browsing and also many sites are filtered.

i have been told by someone else, i need to
register the MAC address of the PC your server is and the local IP you wish it to have, there is a bit i found in the router which allows the cloning of the mac address from my network card on my comp, but when i tried that nothing worked, proxy or no proxy.

is there any ports i need to forward in the virtua server, or just the 80 for the server...?

ive included more pictures of more possible settings i may need to change in my router but im not sure...

static ip

[IMG]***********.raine-tech.com/images/48743423.jpeg[/IMG]

dynamic ip

[IMG]***********.raine-tech.com/images/42652154.jpeg[/IMG]

wan
[IMG]***********.raine-tech.com/images/59124044.jpeg[/IMG]

Last edited by ThE SnAkE; Sep 29, 2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Well this is all starting to depend on your ISP a bit, with regards to your external, who ya with, NTL? If it is then they assign a dynamic IP so leave that as it is. One thing I have found with NTL is that you need to add the DNS server addresses in your network settings, where you changed to "Use the following IP address". This should allow browsing without using a proxy.

Don't worry about MAC cloning, no need really.

HTH, T.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:22 PM
Veteran

hi m8 i have tried the dns server it said in the router settings

and

but it still did not work...is this the wrong dns numbers, if so where can i get the correct ones.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 02:56 PM
Veteran

hiya,

so yeah it is NTL then I take it and the router is picking up the information from the DHCP at NTL's end. I also have those same DNS settings on my PC and have no problem.

Out of interest try the following in this order.
Try entering those numbers in your network properties again if you have taken them out, then reboot the router and cable modem until it resync's with NTL. Then reboot the PC. Try again

if no joy -
Start, Run type cmd , then type ipconfig /all and post back the results
Then at the same prompt, type tracert news.bbc.co.uk and post the results

Out of interest have you tried email or ftp if you run it. Also can someone outside of your 3 PC's connect to your web server or is there nothing running on it.

Cheers, T.