CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 05, 2003, 01:27 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

The Xbox has to be opened up to enable a TSOP flash (The Xbox's onboard BIOS chip). Two sets of points need to be bridged to enable flashing. This would probably have been what was done. These bridges would have been left because it's a pain in the butt to remove them, and besides, not too many people are gonna end up flashing unknowingly.

You say you've opened up the Xbox. If you didn't see anything even remotely connected to the mobo (And a chip is fairly obvious to spot!) then it's highly unlikely that you did have a chip installed. Look for this area on the motherboard:

[img]********users.belgacom.net/bn257386/x-ecuter2/tutorials/02.jpg[/img]
[i]Thanks to an Xbox-Scene tutorial for the image[/i]

If there is anything attached to those larger points, then yes there was a chip installed.

Let us know and hopefully we can advise on the best course of action.
Old Oct 05, 2003, 01:39 PM

Cheers for all your help people, especially memphis, it would seem that you are right. I've checked mod diagrams to find out where it should be and there is nothing in that place (although there are no holes, just solder in them, don't know if that makes any difference). I'll see if i can get it sorted.

thanks again for your help
Old Oct 05, 2003, 01:52 PM
Veteran

The fact the holes have solder in them doesn't mean to much, it just means you have one version of the motherboard versus another. (I think V1? I can't remember if you said what version you had.)

Right, the fact that you have not got an LPC mod tends to suggest it is a TSOP flash. The other kind of modchip has something like 29 wires and you would be hard pushed to miss something with 29 connecting wires!

Now what we can do (Although everything is pointing to a TSOP flash), is to look at the actual points that would need to be joined. We'll go for this one picture just now so as to get an idea or until you can tell us what version Xbox you have:

[img]********xbox-scene.com/imageserver2/tsop/image001.jpg[/img]
[i]Again, thanks to Xbox-Scene![/i]

Let us know if those points are joined (Where it says [b]Jumper from MCPX RD# to Flash OE#[/b])
Old Oct 05, 2003, 02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure its a v1. i checked on a site which said anything with a manufacturing date pre august 2002 is version one, mine is march 2002 (so, quite obviously it is a v1!). Just looked and there is a link between those 2 points (R7D3).
Old Oct 05, 2003, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Right, that confirms that it's a TSOP flash.

Now things get a whole lot more complicated. Your going to have to make the decision to either return the Xbox to Stusy or do some fairly major repair work yourself. (I say major, but mean more of a pain in the posterior)

I'll point you to the following guide to fixing a hosed TSOP with a Matrix to give you an idea on how the process works:

***********.xbox-scene.com/articles/matrix-fix-tsop.php

Check out the Xbox-Scene forums TSOP flashing section also and do a search on things like 'fixing TSOP' and 'hosed TSOP' (Seems to be the most common terms when refering to this problem.
Old Oct 05, 2003, 02:25 PM

Cheers mate, it says under your name veteran but your a legend! At least i know what i'm dealing with now and i don't feel quite as much of a tit for not finding a chip! I'm trying to get hold of stusy at the moment, he's sorted out a couple of boxes for me so i know he's sound. I'll see what he suggests when i get through.

thanks for your help.

For the record though it WAS my mate who did it (i know, heard it before!) and he is bricking it that he owes me a new one. At least i can put his mind at rest!