CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:11 AM

sponsored links

I dont suppose anyone has the needed .bin files hacked to 11702 offset already? I followed Arthurs directions to the letter but when I look in the hex editor I can't find the line's he's referring to.

Arthur, one other thing... one thing you pointed out that I hadnt read before, is that the roms cannot be more than 50 in a folder. I had all my roms (160) just in the one main roms folder... would this cause the thing to do what it's doing???

Last edited by bast525; Oct 14, 2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:47 AM

hi,

i got it booted with 11702 with 100 plus roms in the roms folder.

i assume you have extensive knowledge of the echelon selfboot method and its tools,(binhack) etc...

first make sure you have the selfboot Lemec files.

then binhack GINRESET.BIN, MANIFEST.BIN, and MDE_US.BIN (or whatever its name) to 11702.

open MANIFEST.BIN in a hex editor(prefer Hex Workshop) . do a text search for "CD001" without the quotes.

there should be 2 instances, if not, your files are not the selfboot version.

if there are 2 instances, go to the second instance. if you never used a hex editor before, the left side is the hex window, the right is the text window. in the text window,(the right side of the screen) highlight CD001, it should automatically highlight numbers in the hex window. right in front of it, in the hex window, look for "5A2E". found it yet? change it to "5C2E" without quotes. save the file.

now, open 1ST_READ.BIN in the hex editor, search for CD001. it should have 2 instances. do the same as the step above. save the file.

now binhack the 1ST_READ.BIN to 11702.

then follow the echelon method and you are on your way.

hope it helps, good luck!!!
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:32 PM

Okay well you cleared up one thing... why the 1st_read.bin I was looking at only had one CD001 entry instead of two. I opened the treyjazz selfboot lemec patched files, and there are two CD001 entries... however... still no 5A 2E in the hex window. There IS a 5A2E in the column to the LEFT of the hex window, the one that shows the line numbers. But it's nowhere near either one of the CD001 text lines nor can I bring it up by doing a search.

Last edited by bast525; Oct 14, 2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:46 PM

I downloaded Hex Workshop so I could know for SURE that I'm looking at the same thing you are. I loaded up the 1st_read.bin from my patched selfboot segagen files. Did a search in hex workshop for cd001, sure enough it is listed twice... however, there is NO 5A2E or 5C2E string... not one. If I use the search feature to search for a hex string 5A2E I get nothing. If I search text for cd001 I do find two entries, but there is no 5A2E string in the hex column, anywhere NEAR the cd001 listings... or anywhere at all that I can see! I'm gonna go nuts....

Last edited by bast525; Oct 14, 2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:51 PM

Edited on Arthurs advice dont want to get slapped!

Last edited by bast525; Oct 14, 2003 at 09:07 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 03:59 PM

hi, it's been ages and ages since i burned anything for dc (first_read.bin...LOL!) and i don't even have a dc anymore so i'm not much use to you on this one m8 but...

use the 'string' or 'textstring' option to search for 'cd001' int the right hand side window, then look for the 5A2E reference in the the middle window in your hexeditor, it should be 7th and 8th bytes in front of where 'cd001' appears as hexcode...rhubarb, rhubarb...

lemec 'obsidian' version was made selfbooting!...i tihnk the patch files were supposed to be applied to the nonselfboot version to make it a selfbooter with better frontend?...doesn't it ovewrite the old 1st_read and other bin files?...damn, i can't remember!...

you can have as many roms in as many folders as you like, i only suggested 50 because...well, actually i can't remember!...probably cos about 50 fit on the screen so you haven't gotta scroll up and down through endless romnames looking for whatever...(ok ok!!, i just made it up, i kinda do that alot ;-)

as for the obsidian files, i honestly don't think i have them anymore, sorry fella. but maybe you wanna edit your post cos the mods will slap you for requesting illegal copywrited stuff...bummer, but rules is rules...

anyway, there _is_ a way to get cdrecord to burn audio.raw to 0,11700!!...search for cdrhack.exe, a hacked version of cdrecord that'll let you burn 298 blocks, it'll still add the other 2 making 300 overall, instead of 302...

so, chop the equivalent of 2 blocks (4704 bytes) from your 689kb audio.raw file, and burn it as audio following echelon tutorial...only using cdrhack intsead of cdrecord. it should give you an lba offset of 0,11700...i'm pretty sure this will work and it'll sort your problem without having to hack any bins!...

ok, i searched through my posts and found a valid link to cdrhack.exe for you...

********cdirip.freeyellow.com/cdrhack.zip

goodluck m8...
__
arthur_p_huxake