CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Default blocked ports at uni

sponsored links

i have just got my halls connection activated but most of the ports are blocked or something... trying to run emule there is only 1 server i can connect to and it is a crap one... is there a program that will scan the ports and tell me what i can and cant use?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Hi thcomputers,

I'm sure in networking circles there are a few but be realistic, the admins at your uni would not be happy with you scanning the network for open ports - say byebye to your connection if you're unlucky.

Added to the fact that if they have blocked some it is for a reason, you would be best off just being honest and asking them what is allowed.

HTH, T.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:38 AM

If you start scanning ports there is a good chance someone will know about it as Tierra said just ask. There are plenty of port scanning programs but anti virus software will show that you are using them.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:46 AM
suspended

Given that Universities are now getting 'spill the beans on file swappers' orders from RIAA I doubt that any Uni network administrator will be happy with you trying to fileshare or P2P on their network. Port scanning is only going to draw attention to yourself and as TierraDelFuego said the administrator is likely to revoke your account.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 01:47 PM
Veteran

i am in the uk so i am safe from persecution for now... and i know some admins at other unis and they say they wouldnt give a toss unless someone tried to hack their system... obviously they cant openly support piracy but they can turn a blind eye to it
Old Oct 14, 2003, 07:39 PM
Veteran

In that case, why dont you just ask the admin for the rights to use the ports.

Put yourself in their shoes, you are the admin, responsible for the uni's connection, then out of the blue, your priciple get a legal letter from the music people threaten to sue them, you will be in the firing line, you may not get fired, but your future is not going to be a long or happy one, so why would admins chance it just so the students can download music, if anyone would break the rules, it would be the admins themself.