CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:50 AM

Default Xp networking probs

sponsored links

I have two machine connected by Ethernet cards.

The client machine can get on the net ok, but I am unable to see the client machine from the host OR the host from the client.

I open the networking icon from the Conrol Panel and it shows my broadband connection and the LAN connection as enabled......so where do I have to go to see the machines on the network????
Old Oct 15, 2003, 06:59 AM
Veteran

Hi wi99y,

To actually see the PC's physically go into Windows Explorer and My Network Places and open up the Workgroup. If you haven't done so follow through the below - into the properties of your LAN connection check that both machines have File And Printer Sharing ticked. Also you may need Netbios set to default to see each other - that is in the Advanced settings WINS tab.

Then on each PC make sure the Workgroup is the same in Control Panel/System/Computer name, doesn't need to be but makes it easier. Then on each PC right click on the drives you want to share and set up the sharing.

Cheers, T.