CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:25 PM

sponsored links

It is not a been 100% acurate, but if the pin 8 on the BA chip is grounded or has a resistance reading with ground, then most likely its toast. Pin 8 is the first pin after the middle ground point, when reading the chip number on top. The one under the zero in my pic. Hope this helps

--------___--------

-----BA5810FP
--------___--------

Last edited by quick2003; Oct 17, 2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 06:12 PM

Usually if the BA chip goes in my experience it takes a fuse with it.

On a v4/5/6/7 console there is a larger brown capacitor (3512 size I believe) that sits across the BA chip/supply, usually if the chip has gone then this capacitor shows a short across it.

The ps2 may have just died a 'natural' death rather than it being chip/install related.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ps2daddy [/i]
[B]Yes but the tip is on another messageboard that I dont have access to right now I will try to get it to you later. [/B]
Hey Madison I looked and could find the tip on the BA testing it was gone when I looked

It was the basicaly same thing as quick2003 said though

Best of success on fixing it
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Pin 8 is definitely grounded. I have to admit, I've never removed a BA chip, so could use some tips from the experieinced. What's the best way to remove one of these? (for both the broken system and a replacement off one of my junk boards). Thanks much.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by madison mods [/i]
[B]Pin 8 is definitely grounded. I have to admit, I've never removed a BA chip, so could use some tips from the experieinced. What's the best way to remove one of these? (for both the broken system and a replacement off one of my junk boards). Thanks much. [/B]
Well Madisonmods I am not an expert on this and I have never done it myself

So take this at your own risk

But.........................

I have heard people using those tiny butane toches to heat up the chip legs enough at the pads to remove the ba chip then they used an iron and desoldering braid to clean the points then they pretined chip legs on the bottom and the solder points and used flux on the solder points and then used the torch again to reapply the chip

They put the chip one the pads and slowly moved the torch back and forth so that all the points on the side would bond by heating the points right at the pad.

Just make sure that its a low heat mini butane torch they have them at home depot

Last edited by ps2daddy; Oct 21, 2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:09 PM

madison mods

You could really do with some kind of hot air reflow system to remove the BA chip, an underside pre heat plate would also be nice to.

However guessing you dont have that kind of kit, it is still possible. On occasions in the past I have mananged to remove these with just the uise of a soldering iron.

First of all load the legs with a nice active rosin based flux.
I load all of the legs with solder so that both sides are completely bridged. Run your soldering iron down one side of the chip, keep repeating the process until all of the legs on that side of the chip are at molten, at the same time you need to be gently prising the chip up. The chips will rise on one side. Repeat the process on the other side, and back onto to the original side if needs be until the chip is removed.

You need a pretty powerful iron that is capable of heating that large copper planes up, I personally I use a metcal mx 500 for the job.

Please nobody start banging on about bloody 15W soldering irons and how thats what is recommended. Basically thats a load of old tosh, the wattage of the iron has zero to do with tip temperature, too much temp./time is what will remove tracks and damage components not the wattage of an iron.

Anyway thats my little rant over, just get sick of reading tosh about 15-20W soldering irons... Good luck!, hope it helped in some way.