CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:53 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Thanks for the info, Jack. I'm also considering buying a good BA chip (so I don't have to remove one intact) then using a DRemel to cut the legs off the bad. The legs can probably be pretty easily removed. Also, has anyone in here tried this? It apparently lowers the melting point of the solder to around 160 so it's very easy to keep it molten and remove chips. ********chipquik.com/
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:28 PM

madison mods

hmmm, a dremmel interesting, guess you would just have to very careful.
Another way would be 2 purchase a VERY fine pair of cutters and cut the legs of the chip. However the cutters must be very fine else you will start to remove pads during the cutting process.

You are correct in saying that the process will make removal of the actual IC legs easier, However it doesnt change the melting point temeprature, that is a given constant (tin,lead,silver mix dependant) wether you are trying to melt a tonne of solder or a tiny drop.
Old Oct 26, 2003, 04:35 PM

Just looked at the link you gave, its pretty funny really. Looks like an expensive way to buy flux and solder. Ok they may give you a slightly different alloy mix for the solder that gives a lightly lower melting point but at the end of the day your equipment needs to be upto the job and the small amount of difference is not going to give success or failure.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 04:09 PM
Veteran

I ordered a free sample of the stuff, I'll let you know if it's any good on a junk board that I have...
Old Oct 29, 2003, 09:25 AM

Bearing in mind the problem stated here ...is it still a better chip than the Messiah 2??
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Personally, I have never thought the DMS was better. But recent developments by the Messiah team seems to point to the fact that they might be neglecting the US market a bit... it really is a toos up, comes down to personal opinion.