CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 20, 2003, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Default Router Security; how safe am I really?

sponsored links

For the past year, I have been running my cablemodem thru a D-Link DI-604 router with the default settings (except a few changes to allow gamespy, RTCW, Allied Assault, and MOH). I have never had a problem, but the more I read about it, the more I am interested in securing my system even more. I currently have no software firewall running, and really don't like the idea of installing one either. (I hate having unnessasary programs sucking up my RAM). But today I went to the Shields Up website and ran a few security tests. Most of them came out good but one test, the Leak Test, failed. Is there any settings I can change to give me more protection against trojans or maybe bump up my level of security in general? I have also heard that there is a way to pretty much eliminate popups by changing some settings within your router. Is this true? And if so, can someone tell me how to do this? Also, is there any free antiviruses that work especially well that anyone can reccomend? Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:19 AM
Veteran

AVG is a free antivirus - just do a search
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:16 PM
Veteran

Thanks. I just installed it today. What about the other questions?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about Trojans too much, most require you to execute them. Some can execute using known vulnerabilities mostly in IE or Outlook Express but just try and keep up to date with your patches and you should be ok for the most part. If you want to stop pop-ups there's 2 things you can do. 1 install a pop-up blocker for IE pop-ups. There are also Messenger pop-ups which use the Windows Messenger service. Search for ways to disable this unless you really need it.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:41 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the help .
Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:43 PM
Veteran

Hi lastlaugh

Using a router is one of the safest ways of connecting to the net, it certainly protected me from the recent cockups of MS.

If you have a specific port that isn't showing as stealth simply go into the virtual server section (or whatever your router decides to call it) and re-direct the port to a none existent computer in your LAN range.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't use D - link.

EDIT;
I have just read the rest of your post concerning popups, I believe it is possible but I have never tried for the simple reason that I have no need to. I refuse to use the bug ridden, spyware infected browser MS calls IE and prefer to use Opera or Konqueror. If you want any more help on this please mail me........Do not use a hotmail account to mail me it will end up in hyperspace oblivion and I will never see it, all my emails are filtered.

BTW for a junior member smoky talks a lot of sense when he wrote "Some can execute using known vulnerabilities mostly in IE or Outlook Express but just try and keep up to date with your patches and you should be ok for the most part." to be picky he should have also included Outlook because it uses the same security settings as IE.

Saddly MS are constantly attacked for poor security. I believe that this is partly due to their popularity and partly due to their poor attempts at security....Yes they are being attacked because of their popularity and because of the default settings (possibly for usability) being wide open to attack to the extent that a recent poster of this forum couldn't even update XP to SP1 without picking up a virus.

Yes a router does protect you from such exploits.

I have recently had the pleasure of watching a NTL ******* (script kiddie) try to break into my computers after my IP was displayed on a website I visited. After shuting all but one computer down I sat for over three hours, collecting information from the logs of my router, before I reported the offence to NTL. The attack did stop shortly after I mailed NTL abuse, with more evidence, for the second time.

Of course I have also wrote a stroppy mail to the website concerned........When will they learn that displaying an IP addie is dangerous and when will folk learn that surfing without a firewall is dangerous. I learnt this, the hard way, some 5 years ago. The world was flat, a firewall was something to do with building regs or some extremely expensive piece of hardware. After days of searching I came across Zonealarm and have used it ever since, though it seems somewhat redundant in my current setup, I have the sound knowledge that it protects me from software phoning home and is a decent incoming backup.

Last edited by Demo; Nov 18, 2003 at 10:36 PM.