CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 21, 2003, 01:51 AM
Veteran

Default how do i set up this type of network?

sponsored links

i need to set up a network with 4 pc's and a server for running an accounting package. the network will run on windows 2003 server and probably windows xp for the workstations. the accounting package runs on the server, but i'm not sure of the setup for office etc. also there needs to be remote access from an off-site pc . what is the best way of doing this either via the phone line or broadband to make this secure.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 02:09 PM

What have you got already?
Do you have a firewall, if so does it have built in VPN? - That is best solution for remote access, especially if you have broadband (you may want to buy a broadband router/modem with this functionality built in).
Setting up office - I usually put a copy of the install CD on the file server & then run the install from there (full local install), this saves time when you need to reinstall office when it breaks.

Nick
Old Oct 21, 2003, 02:58 PM
Veteran

the existing system is 4 workstations running xp. however a new network accounting system is required, hence the need for a server. the other pc will be off-site requiring access to this software as well as office etc..
i think the server will be connected via a modem/router to the broadband - the off-site pc connected to the broadband at a different site the same way
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:15 AM

It looks like you are almost there -
I hope you are already using a firewall (mad if you are not!)
Check out if it has VPN function.
If not, I have recently put a 'Symantec 100 appliance' firewall in one of our offices for remote access, as this has built in VPN client.

see: ***********.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/vpn100_index.html

It has good price/performance ratio (hard to put a price on security!)

Nick
Old Oct 22, 2003, 06:00 AM
Veteran

i assume then, that i can use pc anywhere to access the server from the off-site pc?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 07:33 AM

The VPN should deal with all IP routing for you.
Main difference is you will probably need to use IP address rather than the machine name you see when you browse your local network.
- Better still, if you have a win 2003 server use Terminial services -
It is much faster and better than PC Anywhere and is FREE.
I use Terminal Services to controll a server in Slovakia down a VPN, it works a treat!