CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:53 AM

Unhappy Bad sectors

sponsored links

Sorry if this is off topic - I don't use CDRom much any more since I moved to BST.

My HDD has been developing bad sectors recently which scandisk seems to sort out (I think it copies the data somewhere else and marks the bad sector so Windows doesn't use it again???) and last night it got so bad I can no loger boot Windows from it

Thing is - this is the second time this has happened - the first time I sent it back they returned a refurbished model which is now just over a year old so they won't replace it again
Thing is - is there any way to repair this myself or get the data off (dumbo didn't back it up when it started going wrong) ir have I lost this forever?

Sorry to be a thickie - I just don't get why this has happened to me again - nobody else I know has ever had bad sectors on their HDDs

When I opened my PC to check the connections - the HDD was so hot I couldn't take it out for over an hour - was this the cause of the problem or a symptom of it?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give
Old Oct 24, 2003, 07:45 AM
Veteran

You may be able to get the data off the HD by placing the HD, in a plastic bag, in the fridge for a few hours. When you bring the HD out of the fridge leave it in the plastic bag and connect upto your computer with the HD on the outside of your computer and sat on an ice pack. Connect another HD and use ghost to copy the bad HD to the good HD.

For gawd sake watch out for condensation and moisture!
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:28 AM
Veteran

Yeah... the above might look funny, but it WORKS.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 08:51 AM
Veteran

Just make sure you pick up the right bag when you try to do a stir-fry
Old Oct 24, 2003, 09:59 AM

Excellent - thanks for the advice - I'll give it a go tonight (I'll warn the wife first so I don't end up eating it for dinner)

I take it that means it's stuffed? I won't be able to salvage the drive itself, just the data (which would still be good)?
Old Oct 24, 2003, 10:25 AM
Veteran

Freezing the drive might work. Put it in a paper bag instead of plastic and leave it in the bag when you connect it. A plastic bag runs more risk of condesnation dripping into the computer but paper will just absorb any condensation.

You are going to need to replace the drive anyway as you can not fix it your self. If it is running that hot it could be a serious mechanical problem. Remember that hard drives are spinning and moving parts eventually wear out. So buy your new drive and install the OS on it. Hook the old drive as slave and see if you can pull the important data off it that way.