CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:51 PM
Veteran

Default Need some advice on building a home server

sponsored links

Building a server for our house, mainly to share the braodband but also cus a large amount of HD space is needed for backups for a business

Basically...is there a motherbaord/CPU combination any1 could recommend? i dunno even whether to go for P4 or AMD...i know what id choose for my pc...but for a server i dunno

I jus need it to be reliable, i know it doesnt have to be very powerful, i jus want sumthin thats gonna run 24/7 with no problems
Old Oct 27, 2003, 07:21 AM
Veteran

chimpuk,

i doubt it really matters m8 to be honest. I used to have an abit kt7a with Athlon cpu running win2k and it was up for months on end. I would however stick with the main mobo manufacturers, Abit, Asus, MSI etc. the long and short of it is as long as you build it sensibly, don't add too much rubbish to it and make a baseline image of it then you'll be fine.

HTH, T.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:36 AM
Veteran

cool thanx m8
ill jus go with a decent mobo, sensible CPU

if i happened to get a mobo with built in ethernet, would it still be more sensible to buy a decent network card for it?
Old Oct 28, 2003, 01:54 PM
Veteran

depends really what the network is needed for but as you said broadband and backups I presume LAN activity may be high.

i'm sure some of the NIC's are better but find no problem with my MSI on-board LAN connection used for both. in case you're interested i am using an MSI k7n2 delta-ilsr which is very good, the only comment i would make is that the nforce2 chipset boards are by far the quickest but they can get a bit picky with memory types. used in conjunction with a barton xp2500 they fly, especially if you clock it to its max of an xp3200.

HTH, T.