CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 31, 2003, 12:19 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Sorry I'm coming into this so late. Why not use the XP Recovery Console?

1)Boot with XP CD
2)Select option to repair using the Recovery Console press "R"
3)When prompted for Admin password press the Enter key for default
4)At the command prompt type
DISKPART
5) this will give you partitioning menu to delete and repartition
6) when finished type (where "X" is your partition letter)
FORMAT x: /FS:NTFS (to format as NTFS)

OR

FORMAT x: /FS:FAT32 (to format as FAT32)

7) When finished type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and reboot.

you can omit Step 6 if you want to setup XP. After Step 5 go to Step 7 and the computer will reboot the XP CD and you can install it.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:02 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

If we picked option 1 last page, it would have been done, but we seem to have gone around in a big circle for some unknown reason?

Nonetheless whome, hopefully you'll have some good news that it's now sorted.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:54 PM

Well sorry to say i DO NOT!!!!
A gameing buddy i thought i knew.Was trying to help me out this morning and get me a copy of partition magic 8.0 .He said he scaned it for viruses so i took every thing to work and at luch i sat down to do it.Well i installed partition magic and guess what.It had a nasty lil virus in there it deleted dos from 1 pc and was attacking another before i stoped it.
I tried an anti virus restore type disk on the dos deleted one but nothing.I just gonna buy a new HD and replace it tomorrow and see if the other is fixable at all.I am in WAY over my head.I am an Insomniac and have only had 3 maybe 4 hours in the last 3 days.And i am so tired tonight.
Tomorrow i will have a freash head and ready to do some reading(wich i enjoy) and see if i can fix this mess.
thanks for all your'e help guys i do appreciate it

I still have a question on the previous subject LOL

HARRY O
on step 6 How do i tell when its done formating or eve if it is formating??
I tried once but i hit the exit button way to early because i miss read the text

Anywyas i need sleep so if any of you have something that might help me some tomorrow i could sure use it LOL And i do enjoy reading.I dont know anything really about PC's but i am learning as i go and i LEARNED a lot today haha

PSS.....................Lets say i wanted to wipe the entire HD and start over.What should i use?? and is there anything wrong with doing that

Last edited by whome; Oct 31, 2003 at 10:57 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 11:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Whome, this is starting to get way too messy, so I think the best thing is to just start from the beginning. The reason you are having problems is because you have a few files on a partition that are either corrupt or not installed correctly. Using the recovery console as Harry suggested might work, and is certainly worth a shot.

Personally, and we all have our own methods and levels of skill, I would format it, and if it wouldn't as you said earlier, I would try to fdisk or [url=***********.me.umn.edu/~ap/wipeout/][b]WIPE[/b] the Master Boot Record, which is guaranteed to work when done correctly.

What isn't a good idea, and is just as much our fault is going from one persons method to anothers.

The next choice is to decide which method you think [b]YOU[/b] could comfortably do, and stick to it and you will finally win in the end.

Buying a Hard drive as you said is no answer as you will still have to format and install it anyway. If you are worried about the "virus" you say you have, formatting will take care of that permenantly.

And please, no more sleep comments thanks.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 01:42 AM
Veteran

when format is finished you will be back at the command prompt.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 02:39 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Insomniac [/i]
[B]Whome, this is starting to get way too messy,

Personally, and we all have our own methods and levels of skill, I would format it, and if it wouldn't as you said earlier, I would try to fdisk or [url=***********.me.umn.edu/~ap/wipeout/][b]WIPE[/b] the Master Boot Record, which is guaranteed to work when done correctly.

What isn't a good idea, and is just as much our fault is going from one persons method to anothers.

The next choice is to decide which method you think [b]YOU[/b] could comfortably do, and stick to it and you will finally win in the end.
. [/B]
I totaly agree man.I should have stayed in one direction and i have found a way i like and can do now. fdisk was the way i needed

.HARRY O's way works pretty good for something a lil lighter than what i was wanting but it worked good.

I would have like to try Gooner's suggestion with partition magic.And probably will with the next HD

thanks again for the help guys ...............whome