CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 01, 2003, 02:56 PM

Default question

sponsored links

ok i have Road Runner and I have the modem connected to my pc via rj45.

I can't connect the modem via USB because I cant see any webpages etc even though the modem is flashing that is receiving data. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Another question. I wanna share the internet with my sisters pc via Router.

ok tell me if im doing this right.
Modem is connected straight into my pc via ethernet card.

i have a extra ethernet card going into the WAN on the router and then a 15 ft crossover cable to my sisters computer. but we can't use the internet on her computer is it due to the crossover cable? or do I need to set up some settings with the router? if so what are they thankx.

her pc is Win XP Home.

Mine is server 2000 and I also have Win Xp Pro.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 07:12 PM

I would assume you need a driver for the modem to work in USB mode. Did you try installing the ones that came with it, or find them online? Itís better to use Ethernet, since USB uses a little more processing than Ethernet does.

If you want to share and have a router, just plug the router directly into the wan port on the router, and plug your computer into one port, and hers into another.

It might be that you using a crossover cable from the router causing it not to work that way, but if its only one computer, the router would be unnecessary, since crossover cables are made to be connecting two computers directly together, without a hub or router in between.

The possible things you can do are to plug the modem into the router into the wan port, and then your computer into one port on the router, and hers into another.

You could also plug the modem into yours, and use the crossover directly into hers, without using the router. This isnít the best thing to do, since your computer would have to be on and working for hers to be online too.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 08:38 PM
suspended

Since you already have a router, the best way to do it is via straight through cables through the router as UAPyro posted above.

Connect the modem to the WAN port on the router using a straight through cable.
Connect the ethernet port of your computer to a LAN port on the router using a straight through cable.
Connect the ethernet port of her computer to another LAN port on the router using a straight through cable.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 02:24 PM

Thankx guys I dl the firmware for the router and now im connected.
I need to go and get a cat5 cable to go from the router to her pc since the crossover cable doesnt work. thankx again guys.