CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Nov 06, 2003, 09:05 PM

Default Spilt beer on laptop.. [toshiba; ; ]

sponsored links

Quite a while ago my mate spilt beer (twice) on my laptop keyboard.. now theres a sticky key (the question mark..) which seems to stick down until I press backspace (when typing in my password for windows if I dont hold down backspace quick enough itll just type a password of ??????.... for me )

Its really annoying, the question mark button, right hand shift key and forward slash button dont work at all.. and the right arrow key is a bit dodgy. (Having to copy and paste question marks is more annoying than you can imagine!)

The laptop is a toshiba something-or-other if it matters, any idea how much a new keyboard costs?

The laptop is out of warrenty... and has no cover as far as im aware for anything. Im in uni, with no house insurance.. maybe I could get insurance and in a few months try a *ahem*smallinsuracescam*ahem*... or can it be fixed? I know you can dip mobile phones in electronic cleaner things.. would it work for a keyboard?

Sorry for the long winded topic.. would be surprised if anyone has any ideas but worth a try!

Cheers
tomturd
Old Nov 06, 2003, 09:19 PM

I would think your mate should be responsible enough to pay for the damage he caused.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 12:35 AM
Veteran

You can't lift off the key & get at the connection? I've done the same thing (coffee though) & managed to clean it after flipping the key off.
Old Nov 07, 2003, 04:35 AM

Ive flipped the keys off but each one has a little rubber (what seems to be) liquid prodector thing.. i could see condensation in these (theyre clear rubber things) about 2 weeks after it happened.. not sure if theres still condensation in there 4 months later..
Old Nov 07, 2003, 12:53 PM
Veteran

your laptop is drunk, take it to the AA
Old Nov 09, 2003, 12:32 PM

I had the same problem but it was 7up for me. My laptop all of a sudden froze no keys would work but mouse would. I resetted and it said insert Bios update disk. I left it for about a week i worked fine but takes 25 mins to load and the keys are all messed up.
I posted here and was told it cant be fixed?
If u get it sorted lmk as i wasnt mines sorted aswell.

Cheers
Closed Thread