CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 11, 2003, 06:19 AM
Veteran

Question Bandwidth question

sponsored links

hey all thanks for looking and attempting to answer my question
OK we are setting up a Gamecube on the router to be connected to the netork, for them to play copies via the computer (one of the PCs shall transfer games and play them straight off from the computer to the gamecube). My only concern is will both PCs (there are 2 computers, and now 1 gamecube to be) and the internet connection suffer a bandwidth loss? as the game will be at a constant stream from one of the computers, I realise the computer transfering will obviously run slower, but my question is will the 2nd computer also suffer an interent speed loss? (as something is being transfered via the network, but never passing through the 2nd computer - as a router linked to cable internet will be used.)
On a further note, the internet itself will never be used - just a transfer over the lan between the gamecube and one of the computers.

anyway thanks for any assistance, in the event that I'm told "yes the 2nd computer will suffer an internet speed loss" is there a way around this?
Old Nov 11, 2003, 07:48 AM
Veteran

If the router contains a switch rather than a hub (I think most do) it shouldn't affect it. With a switch the traffic should be seperate.
If it is just a hub then yes it will as the traffic gets forwarded to all the network ports reducing available bandwidth for everything else. How much of an affect it has depends on how much bandwidth is used by the game.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 04:33 PM
Veteran

it's a Netgear gateway router model RT314

do you know if this particular router uses a switch or a hub?

and thanks for the help