CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 11, 2003, 08:23 AM
Veteran

Exclamation msgsrv.exe problem in Win 98 causing cable internet connection problem

sponsored links

Just been up to my mum's at the weekend, and she's got a problem with her PC, and connecting to the internet.

I established that she had three viruses (she had AVG on there but hadn't updated her definitions I did tell her.....) which I got AVG to remove. However, I think it has done some damage, as she still can't connect to the internet.

Whenever I rebooted, at some point shortly after reboot the system would hang, and when you do ctrl-alt-delete it says msgsrv.exe is not responding.

I remember having a problem with out pc's at work a while back where this kept crashing, and we discovered that it's one of Windows 98's networking components (controls the flow of data or summat), so when it crashes nothing will go. Does anyone know how I can repair it, or have any other recomendations to fix her cable connection?

I tried uninstalling her NTL and cable modem software and reinstalling it. I got as far as connecting to register, but when it tries to ping the server it says the raw connection is there but cannot ping so there's a problem with the configuration (error 9 - helpful!)

I don't really want to be having to do a backup and full reinstall if I can avoid it, as it means going back up and spending half a day (it's old, slow and takes nearly 5 minutes each time it has to reboot!)

Anyone got any ideas how I can fix it?

Thanks....
Old Nov 11, 2003, 09:14 AM
Veteran

basically as the article below seems to imply, this is often blamed for problems, but in effect is just the messenger. looking into this error will not resolve the problem , as it is not the root cause I'm afraid.

********aumha.org/elist/elist010711.htm/

HTH, T.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 07:15 PM

I had same prob mate have u got zone alarm on ur pc if u have reinstal it and it should do it
Old Nov 12, 2003, 04:15 AM
Veteran

Yes, Zone Alarm is on there.

I'm going up today, so I'll give that a try. Thanks. I also read somewhere that you can run a WIndows file checker to check for damaged files, so I'll give that a go too.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Thanks guys, got it sorted.

I uninstalled Zone Alarm, went into safe mode and removed the cable modem. I restarted and reinstalled the modem and it's fine! Thank god! She's all connected again.....!

Cheers for the help!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 04:22 PM

Thumbs up

Cool thanx for the update Matt Cheers

Last edited by doggy; Nov 12, 2003 at 04:26 PM.