CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD Graphics & Karaoke
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 18, 2003, 09:21 AM

Default PC Karaoke

sponsored links

I have been running a PC based system for over a year now.

My main comment is "why use a laptop?"

I have a small platform PIII PC, which is about the size of a VCR, that has allowed me an easy an inexpensive upgrade path, and works great.

When it comes time to upgrade that laptop, you could have bought 3 or 4 of these small platform PC's, and had a better, more stable system.

I added a quality sound card, and a video-in card to mine, so I can feed VCR, DVD, etc. into the PC for added effects...music videos and sports stuff.

Run an digital to ****og converter which ties to VGA plug between monitor and TV screens.

My system fits into a standard gig box with a server tray LCD display drawer with keyboard and trackball.

Anyway, when you need that 200 gig laptop hard drive, put the money into a standard desktop in small platform and take a nice vacation with the money left over.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Thats exactly the input I wanted anybody else want to put their case? I have swayed between a laptop and an old tower that I have sitting here with an external hard drive just gotta load up with mp3+g, winamp3 and try it out, thoroughly soak testing it, wish me luck, lol.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:35 PM

Default Old Tower

oxocubeman,

That old tower should get you going, but may be a bit combersome to gig with.

I tested the theory of going PC based for my shows with an old IBM Thinkpad P 133. It got the job done...at least to prove out the theory.

Thing is, once I played around with the whole thing, I decided I wanted to be able to do full motion video with music, and a few other special effects, so I opted for a good quality work station PC. I would suggest that as you look at it, either build your own or buy a work station PC and upgrade it for karaoke. The work station PC's are tougher, but not set up for audio/video, etc. A good sound card is a must. USB ports are helpful for backing up HD, and for connecting secondary hard drive when yours crashes during a show. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I am prepared.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Boy scout, eh? I toyed with the idea of a shuttle case, the one with the handle but in the end it worked out as dear as a base only unit.I don't have that many venues and the tower could stop at the main weekly one so portability wouldnt be a problem. You say "good" sound card i.e. soundblaster ?? and as to video card what would be the minimum? A TFT monitor is on the list too, I suppse?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 05:45 PM

trust me, dont waste money on sound and graphics cards, a sound blaster live for less than 30 is easily good enough, and as for graphics, what graphics??, as long as it has tv out and has the software to get different piccies on different screens (plug for nVidia again), it will do.
Honest, I have a good geforce 4 and a 2 year old geforce 2 that is worth about 2 quid, and there is no difference....it's all in the software.
spend the dough on a tough p.c and lots of hard drive space.
am I wrong people ??
Old Nov 18, 2003, 06:12 PM
Veteran

You see what I mean, good discussion this but throws up one more point. What software are you talking about? I have a Nvidia card but how to get it to display on monitor AND t.v. I assume theres updated drivers but is that all there is to it/ Doesnt winamp have some method to split its display? I have searched on the net for tutorials but thin on the ground. We need more input, I am sounding more like 5 alive, lol.On the Nvidia site right now, think I can see where youre coming from. I have just installed XP on the old system, have 25 days left before activations ruins things and have to take my spare copy of XP out again so time is of the essence and I will install new drivers to-morrow.

Last edited by oxocubeman; Nov 18, 2003 at 06:18 PM.