CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD Graphics & Karaoke
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:00 AM

Default Keep this in mind

sponsored links

If you go to a digital to ****og converter make sure it has the zoom feature with sizing. Some of the cheaper ones won't let you do this. Mine is an older one, and has a remote that let's you size, focus, adj brightness, sharpness, etc.

Also, my slide show under the karaoke window, is running on my destop, not with screen saver. That was an error in my previoous post.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:38 PM

CAUTION, I bought an avermedia scan convertor from Maplins, and it was cr*p.
I took it back the next day, as the output to the t.v was terrible, and it made my monitor display shake.
Maybe it was faulty????
Anyhoo, I was put off by it, and went for the graphics card with t.v out option.
I guess we're never gonna agree 100% on this one !!
I have to say though, I have a lead going from the t.v out on the graphics card, to a scart adapter which is pluged into another adapter which is plugged into a portable telly for the singers, then a wire comes from the first adapter to a projecter in the bar, so it is a bit messy I suppose.
(Oh, the adapters sag a bit so I prop them up with a pair of my daughters' socks!!)he he he.

I do like the idea of video stuff for the inbetween bits though.
Are we talking pop videos? home made slide shows? or ****?
he he he
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:12 PM

Default Video Huh?

bluntfingers,

That's why I suggested not to buy the low end digital to ****og converters...they aren't very good, and they don't have many features. Mine is an AverKey I think it is the gold version. This is a box that plugs into the VGA port between your monitor and the PC. It's not that little funky remote looking thingy that plugs into USB port. Be careful! The AverKey boxes are designed to run any video sorce to any output. They come with cables for just about every possible combination.

It gives me an excellent picture on the TV. It has overscan and underscan, with zoom. The sharpness, contrast and brightness are adjustable. From an 800x600 PC resolution, the tv screen image is better than normal broadcast at full screen. You can size the picture to the screen perfectly. It works great. On the zoomed image you are working with a box that is 352x288, which is the karaoke standard. This image is slightly better than the base tv scan of 270, so there is no image degradation.

The remote control makes it really easy to set up. You can stand in front of the screen(s) and tune it like your tv at home.

Anyway, as long as you get the results you want from the video card, that's all that matters. When I tried it some time ago, I got a screen that was not centered and had a black border around it. It looked really crappy, and there were no instructions or features to fix it.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:18 PM

Default Avermedia

Try this link to digital to ****og converter:

***********.aver.com/products/comptv_AVerKey300gold.shtml
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:01 PM

gulp, I still got the border !! (but trying to fix it.)
If anybody has read the desktop managers guide from nVidia better than me please let me know how to get full screen on the second output !!
I'll certainly check out that link as your box sounds 100% better than the rubbish that I had.
Anyhoo, is anyone COMPLETELY computerized ?? eg song, to karaoke, to song, to karaoke, ALL from PC, or are we all playing CD's for filler music??
I would be interested if there is an EASY way to achieve it, because, as I mentioned before, running winamp and media player was impossible for me.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:59 PM

Default run it all from winamp

If you set up Winamp as your media player, and click all of the media options, it will play everything from CD to DVD.

That's the way I run it, and I have a folder window open for Karaoke, Music, and Videos on my destop side by side. When a karaoke song is selected I go to the karaoke window, find the cd folder, song, and click on it. Winamp plays it from the zoomed window on my pc screen on the tv screen full size.

If I want to play a cd or video, I pick the folder, song, and click on it, and it plays in Winamp. Note: All of my music has a graphic file of some sort attached, so it plays in CDG. If I put a cd in my cdrom drive, it automatically comes up in Winamp (shows all selections). If you just had a folder of MP3's for music, you could run it with a window open for selecting songs.

At the beginning of a night, if I'm there early, I will pull directories into Winamp and select random. This is like loading a bunch of CD's into a changer, and it will play continuous with random order.

Anyway, I hear a lot of the folks on here select the karaoke directory into Winamp and then type the song number to get it up. I like the window option, then you can have all of your stuff available. It takes a second longer to cue up a song. You have to locate the CD folder, then the song. Mine are numbered 1-600, with the songs as they are on the disk. So someone selects Disk 423 - Song 10, go to Folder 423 Song 10. I have all my songs named and numbered, so I can verify that I have the right one.

Hope this helps.