CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:57 PM

Default XP memory low, 256MB ram

sponsored links

Hey All,

A m8 of mine is running Windows XP home and he keeps getting the system tray pop up messages saying his computer is low om memory, he was running two programs at the time, winamp and word. He has a Pentium 4 256Mb ram a 40 gig HDD ATI rage 128 video, He is dual booting ME and XP. This problem keeps happening even after a restart.

Any ideas? Should he just turn up the size of the virtual memory? I didn't think this would be nessasary since he has 256Mb ram. The RAM chips are in their holders securely and windows reads it as 256MB.

Cheers,

Rikkelz
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:42 PM
Veteran

256 is a little low for XP, so I'd uprade to 512. That said the virtual memory increase would help, but running anything off virtual memory is so slowww. Run a full virus scan, use MSCONFIG to disable any programs not necessary to run at start-up, and disable some of XP flashy features. There's freeware you can d/l to do this or goto control panel, system, advanced, performance settings, and turn some of that stuff off. You can disable it all, but I'd least turn off some of it. Does anyone really need shadows under their mouse curser? Try all that and see what happens............HTH

About the virtual memory. It goes something like this. what is takes 2 hours to do on RAM, it takes 2 months to do on virtual memory. So running a lot of virtual memory isn't really a good answer...........my 2 cents.

Last edited by nightheart; Nov 16, 2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:35 PM
Veteran

Definatly turn up the size of his virtual memory or let windows manage it. I have 1GB of memory and i still get the warning poping up that the virtual memory is not set high enough.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 06:50 PM
Veteran

May be strange but has he filled his 40gig hard drive? (or close to), this would prevent windows from increasing the virtual memory when it needs it.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 08:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by nightheart [/i]
[B]
About the virtual memory. It goes something like this. what is takes 2 hours to do on RAM, it takes 2 months to do on virtual memory. So running a lot of virtual memory isn't really a good answer...........my 2 cents. [/B]
Yup, but the difference between nanoseconds and microseconds is not so great to the end user even though the ratio is the same.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your help guys! Yeah I think his hard-drive is quite full. I will try and fix it 4 him when I go there this weekend! I know to mostly never trust Microsoft but they say that 256Mb is enough, I suppose they were wrong.......again.

Thanks Again ,

Rikkelz