CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:05 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Do you have an intel chipset? If so you need to install the intel accelerator from www.intel.com
Old Nov 18, 2003, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Think its more down to his HDD being full although he could try intel accelerator that harry O mentions although if he's running a dvdwriter i wouldnt recommend it as it sets all drives to PIO mode and disables the DMA option.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 03:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Rikkelz [/i]
[B]Thanks for all your help guys! Yeah I think his hard-drive is quite full. I will try and fix it 4 him when I go there this weekend! I know to mostly never trust Microsoft but they say that 256Mb is enough, I suppose they were wrong.......again.

Thanks Again ,

Rikkelz [/B]
Who's exactly wrong here? Most people get by just fine with 256Mb. Microsoft also make a statement about how much free harddrive space you need. If your harddrive is full you'd have similiar problems no matter how much RAM you've got installed in the system.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:39 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by geobon [/i]
[B]Think its more down to his HDD being full although he could try intel accelerator that harry O mentions although if he's running a dvdwriter i wouldnt recommend it as it sets all drives to PIO mode and disables the DMA option. [/B]
[quote from intel site]
Intel Application Accelerator automatically enables the highest transfer mode supported by the ATA/ATAPI device and Intel chipset. For example, a CD-RW drive that supports a maximum of UDMA-2 will be set to this mode with no interaction required. Two devices that are on the same ATA channel can even be using different transfer modes.

You might want to read this ***********.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/reasons.htm
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:22 AM

XP HOME EDITION SUCKS A$$...especially if came with an image with a new computer.....it starts 893 processes when the PC starts, which is sucking the memory........XP needs about 10 processes to start....HOME EDITION BLOWS....Get XP PRO or 2000 Pro or stay with your 98 SE...

256 should be more than enough for XP....I put XP PRO on a 200 mhz P1 Pro w/ "mmx" technology....it only had 64 MB of ram and it runs just fine...my suggests....FORMAT and START OVER!!!!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:05 AM
Veteran

There is virtually no difference between XP Home and Pro.