CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:38 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by neverMindNames [/i]
[B]i know what you mean though, although it does look hopeless...you think that *might work on the cdvd controller aswell??? i know what your saying, but that thing is sooo tiny. [/B]
If you can solder a link wire it should work but man that would be super tough.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 02:44 PM
Veteran

If you can get that to work, please let us know... I know I've tried and have never been able to get a good connection... Daddy's right, you need some flux and you shouldn't have any problems. Never had to use a mag glass, but then again you don't want to use Radio Shack equipemnt either. .1 mm tip soldering iron is the way to go.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:17 PM

.1mm, dude tell me about it. i just couldnt find one at all. however i asked some people at my school and they said if you want to take the cheap way, and have a tip that would only last like ~50-100 times, you can just sand a tip down with a dremel drill or something like it. They said they really dont do it that much, but they have had to on occasion and it works just fine.

but yeh, a .1mm would be great. I wound up getting a VERY OLD radioshack tip that was labeled as .5mm, bro's it wasnt though. it was SUPER pointy, had to been a .1mm. I asked dude in the store for another one, strange thing is the newer models, are not pointy like the old ones, the new ones are actually .5mm. Im no pro OBVIOUSLY, but i compared the .5mm to the 1.0mm and the newer tip looks like half the diameter, so i would have to say the newer ones are .5mm, but my old one was DEFINATELY a .1mm...it was like a pin needle.

man that controller is tough as ballz. sooo small. i remember the ps1 had a point like that, but it was only 1 point, which is no big deal. But doing 8 of them in a row..pfff, rrrriiiggghhhttttt...i didnt sing up for that zhit :-).

hands down though i know my limitations now, without a 10-20x magnifying glass i just cant do it. *IF* i had that though, i think it would be very doable. Ive only soldered under a magnifying glass 1 time. It was something wacky though because i think it was a 50x one, EVERYTHING was HUGE. But honestly, i thought it was awesome, very good practice. (only problem was it was akward getting the magnifying glass to stay in the right spot since it was so heavy :-/)

o wait, what does flux do?? ive seen it in stores, and all the links i find for it are "add to cart" links that dont actually mention what it does, just the price, qty., etc...

n/m, i found a pretty good explaination here ***********.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2001/1008968203.Eg.r.html

Last edited by neverMindNames; Nov 17, 2003 at 07:20 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:09 PM
Veteran

V4's have alternate points for these connections on the back of the motherboard. You are still soldering to very small VIA points though but its a doddle compared to the chip legs. Bit late for you now by the sounds of it though mate.

I've actually this minute just finished chipping a V4 machine.

I only have to do the 8 wires side by side on V3 machines.

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Nov 18, 2003, 01:59 AM

o no!! you basstard, now you tell me :-). GOD!! you need to come around more man :-). this method works for the messiah aswell? i read about that on the dms3, didnt know it could work on a messiah aswell.

yeh but anyways...all too much all too late...thanks for the heads up though.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:36 AM
Veteran

Yep. Its the original alternate points that were also used for the original Messiah chip. Messiah2 uses those same points but for some reason the alternate wiring diagram isn't included with the install instructions for Messiah2.

If you need it then mail me :- [email]thelynxeffect_uk@yahoo.co.uk[/email] and I'll send it over.

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...