CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 21, 2003, 12:59 AM

Default i cannot even access the recovery console in win xp :(

sponsored links

when i boot from the cd it won't even go to the windows setup menu. instead it goes to a blue screen that says "unknown hard error" or something like that... am i screwed?

help ... pls...

EDIT: this is the exact message it gives me:

STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

Last edited by eze; Nov 21, 2003 at 01:10 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 01:10 AM
Veteran

Can you give us some history on how you came to need to use the recovery console - i.e. does your OS no longer boot, have you reformatted, had virus troubles or such like

Cheers
Old Nov 21, 2003, 01:11 AM

well.. i am getting the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error and i was attempting to fix the boot sector using the recovery console... but i can't get to it.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 01:29 AM
Veteran

And why were you suddenly getting the unmountable error? Changed any hardware recently or did it occur out of the blue? That error is related to either a filesystem problem or a disk controller problem.

EDIT: [url=********support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314474]Microsoft seems to suggest that you can replace the corrupted file ntdll.dll or "reinstall windows".

HTH

Last edited by Virgin San; Nov 21, 2003 at 01:31 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 12:07 PM
Veteran

This is not good given you can't boot the CD to fix the problem. If your system is under warranty you might want to contact the manufacturer. If not under warranty and if you know your way around under the hood you might want to see if you can, at least, get the CD-Rom to boot. Try re-seating RAM and check for any loose connections. If your IDE cable is a 40 pin you might try an 80 pin cable. If still no luck try pulling non necessary cards and see if you can get a bare-bones system to boot the CD.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 03:21 PM
Veteran

dont suppose you can boot from a floppy and get to the dos prompt? if you could you could change to the cd drive and try to access the setup file on the cd from there (setup.exe) follow the prompt till you get to the option repair or reinstall. HTH