CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 22, 2003, 07:10 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Hi Lazza

Thanks for your reply....perhaps it is time for me to try spybot

BTW did you use adaware or adaware pro and is there any difference in the reference files?
Old Nov 22, 2003, 09:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Lazza [/i]
[B]@ Demo

The reason why I said ditch AdAware is this m8:- Ever since I installed SpyBot many moons ago I have had this scenario.

1) I used to scan my HD with SpyBot several times a week.

2) I would then scan with AdAware afterwards.

3) AdAware would never find anything that SpyBot did not, if I reversed it and ran AdAware first then SpyBot would almost always find something genuine (cookie wise etc) that AdAware missed.

So JM2C on what I've personally found really, if anyone prefers AdAware then carry on using it. I always set SpyBot up in options to d/l ALL Beta definitions updates too which is much better and I've not yet had a problem with any of the Beta files. [/B]
Have to agree with Lazza on that one, I thats was the exact same way that I found Spybot to be better than Ad-Aware -
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Adaware always finds something that spboy doesnt , well atleast for me.

You should update you definitions, and in addition to using those above mentions programs, I have found that "Spy Sweeper" and "Spy Cop" find lots of spyware that adaware and spybot missed.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:02 AM
suspended

@ Demo

It was AdAware Pro m8, AFAIK the definitions are the same on all versions, it's just you get a few more options with the Pro version.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 07:20 PM

IMO Spy Sweeper is the best-but even after running that, Add-Subtract still shows cookies to remove. Seems they all leave something to be desired.
Old Dec 03, 2003, 06:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Demo [/i]
[B]BTW VLC, I doubt you will find it by searching your HD.........
If you take a look at my posts in this thread ***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259337&perpage=12&pagen umber=2 particularly the last post it may prevent adaware from phoning home. [/B]
Ive just saved that file, but as i have an earlier version of that, an which just omitted the dl popuper into displaying the usual ms-ie 'cant find net' notice, then all the host file does is block stuff from displaying, whereas i'm still left with zero access to chosen sites, as are any other poor bastads like me also

ps- searching the hardisk manualy is what i'm left resorting to as the spyware progs cant find it for me.

Last edited by VLC; Dec 03, 2003 at 06:25 PM.