CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:51 PM

Default What are good name brands dvd-r media?

sponsored links

Hello,

Just trying to find the best dvd-r media available. I've always been an avid user of ritek cd-rs and recently their dvd-r's media. I know that ritek are pretty good and reliable name brand. What other name brands are good to know and use?
Old Nov 30, 2003, 11:12 PM
kashmir

I've found TDKs to be good, but nto cheap.

Not sure best is the correct phrase. You want the cheapest but reliable DvDs that work on your recorder.

Just try some of the cheaper discs and see if they work.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 12:57 AM
Veteran

Moving this to the media forum.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 01:01 AM
Veteran

Default Re: What are good name brands dvd-r media?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by viciouz [/i]
[B]Hello,

Just trying to find the best dvd-r media available. I've always been an avid user of ritek cd-rs and recently their dvd-r's media. I know that ritek are pretty good and reliable name brand. What other name brands are good to know and use? [/B]
Ritek aren't really name brand. They manufacture the dyes for a number of companies. You can find thier dyes on some lines of Verbatim, Fujifilm and a few others. The only two that I can think of that are possibly better are Taiyo Yuden or Apple but both of these are VERY expensive compared to Riteks and the difference in compatibility is pretty slim.
Old Dec 08, 2003, 09:02 PM
suspended

I wish someone (yeah I know , that mythical person with heaps of time on their hands and money to burn) would come up with a definitive DVDr rating site.

Almost used up a 50 spindle of 'cubix' 2x speed discs, never heard of them before or since but I haven't had a bad burn with any of them.
Ridata 4x - excellent, played in PS2 and Panasonic DVD player
Verbatim 4x - Played in the PS2 but the Panasonic didn't want to know about them.
Just bought a 10 pack of 4x Shintaro for AUD$25 - good price if they work! I'll edit this post once I've tested a couple.

Last edited by Darkman; Dec 09, 2003 at 05:19 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 03:43 AM
Veteran

There is www.dvdrinfo.com but that still doesn't really account for individual DVD Players/Drives. As mentioned above though, it isn't the brand that matters, it's the manufacterer of the dye. The problem with Verbatims is that they use 3 different dyes on thier discs. 1. Taiyo Yuden=Excellent 2. Ritek=Great 3. CMC=poor (same dye that memorex DVD-R use I believe). So you may have gotten a CMC dye batch of Verbatims. Anyways this is one of two reasons why I don't trust name brand labels. 1. You never know which dye you are going to end up with 2. They are almost always more expensive than ordering unlabeled discs that are straight from the source. Good luck with your Shintaros though Darkman.