CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 10, 2003, 05:59 PM

Default how to create missing rar fileswith pars

sponsored links

I have downloaded resident evil 2. I have disc one and when i extract disc 2 it stops at rar 40. What can i do to create this missing files.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 06:25 PM

you really need to learn how to find things out for yourself, USE A SEARCH ENGINE!!!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:39 AM

i have done that but everytime i try to create par files winrar still says that i am missing file 40. It will not use the pars that were created. So thank u very much so nevermind deez.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:52 AM

Have you even bothered to look into what par (parity) is? You really need to know what it is first before you use it dont you think? nah, ok i wont come down on you anymore.

Read ALL OF THIS OK!! Please, im taking time to explain how this works to pretty much to its maximum.

Listen parity files are not use by (win)rar. (Win)rar does have its own recovery routines that creates .rev files or something, however it is painfully slow (but VERY accurate). What you need is something like "Quickpar" or "FSRaid". Do not get a program called "Smartpar". While it is a good parity program, it has been known in the past to not like other *.par files created by other programs. Smartpar is good, but only if the par's have been created with it. However things have may changed so it might be fine now, just know ALOT of people stay away from it.

***********.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=***********.fluidstudios.com/fsraid.html&e=7152

***********.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=***********.pbclements.co.uk/QuickPar/&e=7152

Another thing, Quickpar also can handle par2 files. While these are parity files aswell they use a different approach. With par (par1), each par file has to be greater than the greatest sized orginal file. With par2, it can create just small parts of data to use for recovery. Par2 works in blocks. For example, it is possible to post somewhere on earth where each file you upload to is actually in a binary block set. Like a 50MB file might be 80 parts. Knowing it is 50MB and in 80 blocks on the server, you can do the math and figure this trivialy...

50 / 80 = .625

That is .625 MB (alittle more than half a MegaByte per block).

(If you dont know what server stores files in blocks dont worry, just carrying on reading because this is usefull to know)

Knowing that, and you plan on to upload such a file to such a server that stores files in binary blocks you can choose to use a Block count of 625000 (That is in Bytes, 625000 Bytes = .625 KiloBytes).

So if you were to upload a file of 50MB big to a server and it would come out to be 80 blocks to store that 50MB file, you would want to make a par2 set with a source block size of 625000 KiloBytes. Why? Well this way you dont have to download excess blocks. Say you got a file you want to recover that is 1MB and it was only 1 block, if you had to use par2 to recover, and the par2 was created with a 2MB block size, you would have to download a extra MB just to recover, no parital blocks do not work. Parital par2 files will work, but only if it is 1+ blocks. Say you got a incomplete par2 file that was supposed to be 30 blocks, but you got this file incomplete, it would just find as many blocks within that par2 file to use. Which might be 19, or 21, or whatever amount of blocks you got in that incomplete file.

One draw back to par2, it is painfully slow aswell. However it is way more effiecent for larger files. In comparison to par1 (which the file extension is just par btw, not par1), to recover a 50MB file of which you have 48MB of (just 2MB shy of complete), you would need a 50MB par1 file. Obviously you would be downloading a extra 48MB for now reason. With par2, you could actually just download a 2MB par2 file and recover using only the missing data. That is the advantage of par2, again the disadvantage is the time it takes to create and recover with par2.

*.par = par1 files
*.par2 = par2 files

One last thing, these blocks were talking about, are binary. You can actually combine the blocks together with a binary concatenating program. On linux you could use CAT, on windows you can use COPY /B. The /B switch used with COPY means to copy the files in Binary state and not plain text.

So if you had all 80 blocks of a 50MB file, and your looking at all the blocks like "What do i do with these odd things?", you could on windows do....

COPY /B file1.dat+file2.dat+file2.dat+...file80.dat MyNewFile.rar

Here is a example of creating a par2 set with a 384KB source block size and enough recovery information for all files using 10% of the size of all files to recover for...

par2 create -s384000 -r10 test.par2 test*.dat

This will create a par2 set with the based name of test and some info between test and .par regarding block number and recovery block amount per file. This would create the par2 set of "test.par2 ..." for all files that begin with the string "test", any characters after test and between the file extension of .dat. Example: test1.dat & test2.dat & test1024.dat & etc...

QuickPar is actually a GUI. You can download the 2nd to latest CL version for use of the line i posted above, or compile that latest version yourself. Again QuickPar is a GUI, same functionality, but just alittle slower and not as "Quick" :-) for scripting, actually cant script QuickPar at all.

That's all i have time for, and that's more than enough.

Last edited by neverMindNames; Dec 11, 2003 at 03:23 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:18 AM

i guess is better to get the game again.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 12:08 PM

thank you so kindly nevermind names