CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 10, 2003, 07:49 PM

Default selfboot, 2nd session audio.raw???

sponsored links

i know bin2boot uses this method, but how would i do this manually without using bin2boot?

in fact, i know it can be done. i know there were a few patches for the 2k sports games as well as jet grind radio, where you had to burn a small .iso file as the second session after burn the game files in the first session using mkisofs and cdrecord.

how do i make the small second session .iso? do i have to alter the ip.bin in any way?
thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:22 AM
Veteran

i believe that you are refering to the data, data multi-session?

This was mainly used for those non mil-cd DC that wouldn't read the audio-data discs. I believe that there is info on this at megagames.com
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:28 PM

is there a way to burn a selfboot cd like this using cdrecord? what i really want is to keep the boot files' lba at 0, but still selfboot it manually without bin2boot. since my drives can't make images of the bin2booted cd's.

i know this seems pointless as i can use the echelon method fine. but i'm interested to selfboot a cd another way. if its possible.

i remember i used the patch i got from megagames for jet grind radio, which was an internet fix. it had instructions on how to burn it. it came with a file called "selfboot.iso" that i had to burn as the 2nd session. it was a small file, about 39k or so?? i had to make an iso of the game files with lba 0,0. burned it as the 1st session. then burned the "selfboot.iso" as the 2nd session. tried it in my DC and it booted fine, but the internet feature didn't work. but who cares about that.?? i'm interested on that selfboot method.

anyone know how to do it??
Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:11 PM

m8, i have never tried to do what you wanna do, but i think it is possible, a selfboot dc disc is only a multisession disc!...that's all it is!...all you gotta do is figure out how to point the bootstap back to the first session where your gamedata is...i think that "small iso" you were talkin of is an 0,0 hacked ip.bin??

i don't know if it'll will work? don't even have a dc anymore to try it myself, but try this...

binhack any bins to 0,0 value and compile an iso from all game files except ip.bin with mkisofs, burn it in the first session (xa2, mode2..sommat like that anyway...) thenj complie an iso out of the 0,0 hacked ip.bin and burn it in second session (mode2 again)....i'll say it again...i do not know if this will work!?!...but it seems plausible, doesn't it?...i think i'de risk a disc if i still had my dc :-)

[edit] or try compiling an iso from an empty folder, then injecting 0,0 hacked ip.bin into it fro the second session maybe???...

hth
__
arthur

Last edited by arthur_p_huxake; Dec 11, 2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:56 PM

hey thanks and i found what i was looking for.

********dcxeal.virtualave.net/buffer.html

its a great read.

instead of using CDIRIP on an image, i'm thinking that i can make an .iso out of the plain files. use IPINS and inject the ip.bin. the use ISOFIX on the iso to get a tmp.iso and the header.iso. then burn a multi-session cd like so,

cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -multi -xa1 tmp.iso speed=4
cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -eject -xa1 header.iso speed=4

and it should selfboot. i'll give it a shot l8r.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 05:45 PM

OMG!!! i did it!!!! here's what i did.

binhack boot bins with ip.bin to lba 0

mkisofs of the plain files with lba 0,0 with the filename data.iso

IPINS the ip.bin into data.iso

mkisofs an empty folder with lba 0,0 with the filename ip.iso

IPINS the same ip.bin into ip.iso

burn 1st and 2nd sessions with cdrecord,

cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -multi -xa1 data.iso
cdrecord -dev=x,x,x -xa1 ip.iso

and that's it!!! another way to selfboot with lba 0 and you can copy the cd.