CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:00 AM
Veteran

Default A warning to my fellow PS2-heads on the new V9/10

sponsored links

Sounds simple enough, but you need to make sure that the plastic heat shield (under the power module) is always installed in the new PS2s, anytime the system is turned on. This can save you some expensive damage... very expensive.

I suppose you want the story... Customer sent me a V9 PS2 that he tried to install his own chip and failed. System wouldn't even turn on anymore. After receiving it, I of course wanted to plug it in and see what it did before I took it apart. I plugged in the video input first, then the power. I also already had the TV on, which was my own mistake I guess. I flipped the switch and BAM the circuit breaker for the entire room blew. I also saw a white flash inside the PS2 by the front grille. There was a strong smell of ozone in the room (BAD sign, I know anyone who has done anything with electronics repair knows the smell that I'm talking about) Well, I of course unplugged the PS2, and flipped the breaker back on. Well, let's just say my TV took the brunt of it. It now turns on (as soon as you plug it in, no need to hit the power button anymore). It goes directly into it's "magic focus", as the light guns are all way off alignment. After that, it stays on, no video inputs work at all. Brains are scrambled. Oh yeah, this was a $3k Hitachi HD 53" projection TV.

Upon opening the PS2, there was a large black burn on the metal cage that surrounds the mainboard. And.... no plastic heat shield. Apparently that is the reason it wouldn't turn on for the customer, the 12 volt positive was grounded. What makes me even more mad was the fact that the PS2 worked fine after I put a new heat shield in. The power/ground issue didn't affect it at all.

Anyone who has done any amount of modding knows the power supply is "upside down" from the way they used to be. Some of the leads on the solder side of the power supply are not cut short, this is where the problem occurred. This never would have been a problem in a V4-V8, just in the new systems. I also assume that the customers TV didn't blow up because he didn't have or wasn't using HD inputs. HD inputs are very sensitive on the new TVs as to what is being inputted into it. Older TVs with coax or RCA connectors aren't.

Luckily my TV is under warranty, but I will miss the Packers kicking some Raider butt this Monday night in high definition. That makes me the maddest of all...

Long story short, ALWAYS use the heat shield, even if you're just testing an installation or something, and always check that it's installed if you are testing someone else's system.

Last edited by madison mods; Dec 20, 2003 at 11:04 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:41 AM
Veteran

Wow, that's quite a story madison, too bad for ur tv man that sux....Hope that nevers happens to my Mistu 55" HDTV (crosses fingers) so thanks for the tip!
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:45 AM
Veteran

Yeah, it also sucks that Circuit City can't send someone out until Jan 2nd. Oh well, time to break out the old 19 inch. I think the Hitachi will make a good TV stand for now... Anyway, yes, if you are using the HD inputs for your PS2 make sure you don't plug in the video cable when first powering up an unknown PS2. Or make sure your TV is turned off.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 11:42 PM
Banned

i also noticed that on the first v9 i did , nothing like that happened because i noticed the way the power supply goes on it could ground out so i put the plastic cover on before i powered it up . sorry to hear about your tv , maby you should use a cheaper tv to test on on the future ..
Old Dec 22, 2003, 02:54 PM
Veteran

Yeah, normally I did use a cheaper TV but my 20 year old 19 inch finally died. Now I have no TV except my computer......
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:44 AM
Banned

tleat you had the warrenty with Circuit City or that would have been a costly install