CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:16 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I hooked up the extra ground on system 2, replaced RST to the one from china-magic...same problems except dvd-r booted a little faster.

Went back in changed the power wire from double kynar to 1 solid 24 awg wire. Everything seems to boot great but...original PS2 cd's about 3 good boots to 1 bad(prolly normal)...and PS2 cd/cd-r media crash in game...these chips must suck down a whole lotta current

Got some questions for you guys with working units...
- What are you using for power and ground? (as far as wire gauge and length, double connection or single?)
- Are you using the RST point from the diagram at china-magic or the one from chipzone?

I assume the china-magic point is good since the install is booting everything fine for the most part.

I'm gonna go in and connect another 24 awg power wire to the continuous Messiah 2 power point and the first bare card-edge type connector from the left(continuous to Magic V power point).

This is why I want to know what you are using. If you're getting away with less wire for power/ground then there must be a problem with these...there's no way 1 IC should need to be powered/grounded with what equals out to 20 or 18 AWG wire for each connection...you could power some car amps with that size wire. :O

Last edited by barracuda; Dec 22, 2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:41 PM
Veteran

LOL, which car amps can u power with 20-18 gauge wire 'Cuda?

I use the diags off the china-magic site only and they do work (so yes use the RST point they've got in their diagram), just did a magic V 50K on a V9 a min ago and it worked perfectly, guy got the chip from gocybershop so I dunno, maybe the 1st batch were in fact messed up...

I didn't route any wires along the ground stripping edge of the mainboard, just did it my usual way...

For power on the V9, i never use the via in the china-magic diagram, i use the side of the resistor right under it, same side relevant to the via for power...U can also use the messiah 3.45V points, it's all the same, check DMS3's site and their "3.3V" point is the same as M2's 3.45V point so it's all the same...

For power and ground, i always use the same wires, stripped IDE cable, and for ground, i never ground to the board with magic 5, i use the ground point, ground is ground, and yes, i do use 2 pieces of ide cable, so double it up and keep it short, helps....

Also i place the magic chip in the recommended spot, not the "Neo4 position" seems to work well, so i dunno...

1 last thing, i did see a thread at ps2newz about the garbled logo thing and people getting rid of it by routing a couple wires along the board differently, so check that out in the ps2 u/c ntsc section....

Last edited by padawan; Dec 22, 2003 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:54 PM
Veteran

[URL=***********.ps2newz.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=123624]Try this Power point dude.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by padawan [/i]
[B]LOL, which car amps can u power with 20-18 gauge wire 'Cuda?

[/B]
You know, those ones that are 100 ka-gillion watts and weigh like half a pound...lol. The ones you buy when you just turn 16 and get your first car...when you don't know any better.

Funny story my brother told me once,
He was watching my uncle wire up one of those cheap amps with doorbell wire. My uncle was old school, any no-name amp was like the greatest thing since sliced bread...lol 8-track was super high tech for him.
Anyway, he had a long string of the wire running from the fusebox by the driver door over to the passenger floor where the amp was. Wires it up, turns on the car/radio/amp and the wire just disintegrated. My brother said all he saw was ash from the wire's jacket falling to the ground.

I use 8 awg myself. But one of my amps isn't working right...d@mn MB Quart components suck down a lot of power and overheat it/shut it off. I pretty much gave up on that stuff though...summer heat keeps drying out and cracking the surrounds on my JL 12" subs. My one sub has almost no surround left on it. That and I think the spindle motor in my Sony deck died...seems like the cd doesn't even spin. Too much of a pain to fix....hmmm, maybe I can rig a PS2 spindle motor in there, ROFLMAO

Anyway, can you give me a few search terms to use to find that thread at ps2news? Too many posts about Magic V.
I'd like to check it out even though that problem seems to have gone away.

I've seen others saying to just disable the chip for originals but that shouldn't be neccessary and backups crash.

The only other thing I would suspect is possible crosstalk on the dvd controller points...but ppl use magnet wire that has a thinner jacket than the kynar I use and they say it worked fine...I also verified each of those points with the PQFP on top and checked for crossed or grounded connections(since the vias are very close to a ground plane[possible bridge to that]).

...have over 20 hours on these 2 "simple" pre-mods. [B]Serenity Now!![/B]

BTW, Happy Festivus to everybody!! December 23
Old Dec 23, 2003, 09:36 AM
Veteran

I can't find that thread for anything man...I believe what they said the solution was, was to route a couple wires along the board's ground strip around the edge, but I know that doesn't help u much....sorry man.

As for ur amp, if you've got 12" subs, as in more than one, what wattage amp are u using? Seems to me that if ur powering two 12s, 8 guage is too thin, try 4 gauge and a shorter super clean ground and see if that helps...And yep, Sony head units, the xplod line sucks bad, they die they put out hardly any pre-amp out voltage, they just suck....Try a pioneer DEH-4600MP, still has low pre-amp out voltage but it's an overall better head unit that anything sony makes...I just got the DEH-P7500MP, wow what a head unit!
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by barracuda [/i]
[B]Everything seems to boot great but...original PS2 cd's about 3 good boots to 1 bad(prolly normal)...and PS2 cd/cd-r media crash in game...these chips must suck down a whole lotta current

[/B]
Hmmm, you just proved something for me here. Although I have clones, they are exact copies of the original. My clones do the same exact thing. Everything boots great except original blue bottom games.

Ugh Magics. If they would only spend the time to get it right.