CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:15 AM

Question Win RAR 3.2 File Recognition/association Problem

sponsored links

Hi, I have Win Rar 3.2 which I've learned names files differently than v2.8 did. The extensions 3.2 uses are xxx.001 instead of xxx.part01.rar.

The problem is Win Rar 3.2 (the new version) for some reason only recognizes the older file extensions associated with Win Rar 2.8 (xxx.part01.rar) as rar files and gives them nice little rar icons. The rar files with the newer extensions (xxx.001) get the default windows file icon given to unrecognizable files. I car right click and choose to open those unrecognizable files with Win Rar, and then select "always choose this program when opening this type of file". However the crazy thing is that the next time I open a folder full of Win Rar files only the files with the exact same extension #'s are recognized. ie. If I used the command "always choose this program when opening this type of file" to open file xxx.001, only rar files with .001 are recognized as rar files.

I'm really confused, and this probably doesn't make much sense, but if there is a way to fix this association/recognition problem I would love to know.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2003, 06:07 AM

try opening winrar first then File >open
Old Dec 31, 2003, 06:53 AM
Veteran

Putting on my Problem ****yst hat, that is a workaround, not a fix so we can now change this into a known error status

I can't remember how the file associations work with the .001, .002 rar files as at work at the mo , but your problem makes sense as they are different extensions so when you associate a .001 there is no reason why a .002 would be recognised as it's different.

Also with extracting a set of rars, you of course need the full rar set to be able to extract them, and, in best practise terms, should only extract by clicking on the .001 file and no others.

Finally not sure why the icon matters really.

So my deduction is "No fault found" sorry

Will look at home later if you are desperate to see about the icons.

Cheers, T.