CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 02, 2004, 12:13 PM

Default Ps2 Hdd?!?

sponsored links

Does anyone have any information about this yet?
Like what to add to a normal hdd to use in your PS2 etc...
Old Jan 02, 2004, 03:28 PM
Veteran

There are some people currently working on it but I doubt it will be out anytime in the immediate future. Your best bet would be to wait for the official 40GB HD that is coming out in March with FFXI pre-loaded.
Old Jan 02, 2004, 04:33 PM

no its pretty much finished. only thing you will see in the future is new versions of current applictions supporting the hdd like pgen does. the libHDD library was release a few months ago, so all you need is some basic C coding skills and your on your way. ps2ownz released their tool before that, it formats from what i know (although im might be wrong), something called the APA format. i dont keep up with table formats too much so it could be somethind different. however, this tool formats the right fs for you game saves to store on.

ps2linux formats ext2 linux from what i have read in the libhdd .pdf. however i dont think you can have ps2linux and games saves on the same hdd, but i might be wrong because i think i read something in the libhdd .pdf that you can, not sure check it out if you want.

if you want to use ANY hdd with your US system you will have to wait and hope something comes along once it is released in the US.

it has no interest to me yet because you cant do much (if anything) with it right now. i wouldnt be looking forward to using your HDD with your ps2. even when it comes out in the US market it is hitting EXTREMEMLY late in the "era" of the ps2. ps2 is 4+ years old now, basically winding up to the end of its golden era as ps3 is slowly being produced.

to sum up, you can do whatever you want right now with your HDD, but to access US games right now your best bet is to wait for the US HDD, but dont expect anything great out of it except memory space. a 40gig hdd is an awefull lot of space just for game saves and game related criteria isnt it? atleast i think so.
Old Jan 02, 2004, 05:06 PM

I am in the UK
Old Jan 02, 2004, 07:04 PM
Veteran

I'd buy the offical Sony one when it comes out. If you plan on buying FFXI, you get get the HD and FFXI for $99. Hopefully, the package comes with an FFXI reinstallation disk(which it probably won't), so if something ever happens to the data on the HD. Underground deveopers will make a few tools and programs and other stuff for it.
Old Jan 03, 2004, 08:31 PM

is there a way now to use an ordanary hard drive in your pst just to do it?