CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 03, 2004, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Default my laptop battery is useless, can i remove/replace it easily?

sponsored links

hi,

just a couple of quick queries. My laptop battery is dead, and i cannot run the computer for even one minute without plugging in the mains.

so here's a couple of questions.

1) can I remove the battery (open the little panel and unplug it) and will the laptop continue to work normally? or does a battery need to be plugged in.

2) is it straightforward to replace? or do i need to take it to a shop.

3) does the battery type have to be completely identical, or can it be a better battery for example.

pretty basic questions, but i am worried when it comes to changin anything computer related.

many thanks for any responses

M.E.
Old Jan 03, 2004, 11:34 AM

what make is your laptop...
Old Jan 03, 2004, 12:34 PM
Veteran

hi. thanks for the reply

I just noticed something interesting. My comp has been telling my my battery is dead. but it is actually working. at zero percent left.

I'm leaving it on now, without pluggin in the mains. (this is surprising considering I haven't actually used the battery in at least a year or so.

if I let it fully go dead, will my computer be able to tell me how much I have left as normal? or will it always be zero percent?

with regards to the make, it was assembled overseas from a variety of parts from a variety of different makes, so no help there. but there seems to be some potential left in this battery? just not sure how long it'll last, as I've had the zero percent warning for about 15 minutes now and still going.

thanks
Old Jan 03, 2004, 01:57 PM

i have a dell laptop and it works with the battery out on mains in a docking station....not sure but i think on mine there isa setting in the bios for monitoring the batt level..
Old Jan 03, 2004, 01:59 PM

ps i will check my bios next time i use my laptop and if u havent solved this by then will let you know...
Old Jan 03, 2004, 03:14 PM
Veteran

Some of the old Toshiba laptops used to have a util for resetting the battery level if it was removed.
Closed Thread