CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 04, 2004, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Question How do I shut down a .dll so I can delete it?

sponsored links

The online virus checkers I use finally found a virus thats been hounding me for weeks.

Turns out msconfd.dll is infected. It seems to be always running so I can't delete it...even in safe mode.

I need to know how to stop the .dll temporarily so I can delete it.
Old Jan 04, 2004, 09:17 PM
suspended

You really should be running an anti virus program that is installed on your computer instead of online. Please install an anti virus program and post back.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 02:52 AM
Veteran

The best app I know for identification and stopping dll's is ProcessExplorer which can be found at ***********.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

HTH, T.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 07:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by TierraDelFuego [/i]
[B]The best app I know for identification and stopping dll's is ProcessExplorer which can be found at ***********.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

HTH, T. [/B]
I tried that proggy but couldn't manage to figure out how to stop a dll. To make things worse, it seems that every process is running it.

I totally forgot I could just boot to a dos prompt and delete it manually, but guess what...none of my hard drive partitions show up
Could be virus related or an issue with the Dynamic Drive Overlay(DDO) software which controls the BIOS for large drives. I did wait for DDO to load before I booted the diskette so I assume it's virus related.

I would get a virus scanner but I always thought they were a pain...they run constantly, pop up when you don't want them to and you have to pay $$ for it too. Plus you have to pay again and again for necessary upgrades. Are there any free ones out there?

I really don't want to run into another problem like I did with Zone Alarm firewall. It would popup asking me if software was allowed to run. I don't know too much about security so I'd just say yes or no depending what mood I was in. Zone Alarm is completely useless. I only installed it so I could use DC++ in active mode since the XP firewall doesn't allow crap. With either of those firewalls I was(and still am) averaging about 5 - 7 viruses per week. It sucks...I spend more time on my PC scanning for and deleting viruses than anything else. I've been there so many times I automatically go searching for extra svchost.exe's and delete them. I refer to that as the "svchost shuffle"....shut it down and then quickly try to delete it before it starts back up(and hope it's not the one that shuts windows down)

I'm so sick of it I went and downloaded Linux...next PC I put together I'm gonna try and learn to use that. Anyone know a good site or book for total noobs lookin to learn? Never played with Linux or Unix.

Definition:
Windows (n.): The biggest, undetectable virus the world has ever seen.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 07:31 PM

the reason that none of your hard drive partitions are showing up is most likely because they are NTFS partitions, which cant be read in DOS without special drivers/software.
Old Jan 05, 2004, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by UAPyro [/i]
[B]the reason that none of your hard drive partitions are showing up is most likely because they are NTFS partitions, which cant be read in DOS without special drivers/software. [/B]
D'oh

Where can I get info on that?

Is it possible to make a bootable cd that will run a DOS prompt?
I got this file that you add to an XP OS installation cd to make it bootable...the XP cd itself was supposed to be bootable but wasn't.