CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:09 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

well, this aint gettin no use and im gonna try this before i buy one.
would i just swap the 2 & 3 colors or swap the colors and their whites?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:05 AM
suspended

The thing is that you can't change the wires in the connector without cutting it off. So at the very least, you'd need a new RJ45 connector and something to crimp it with. I think that the guy who originally made your cable was just frustrated. If you don't make cables very often, this is likely to happen. There is a bit of a knack to it.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:33 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ElaineM [/i]
[B] You really have to shove them up in there. [/B]
Now you're really talking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never knew you were a 'handywoman' Elaine.

There's just no stopping you. First Belgian waffles, and now this.

Tune in tomorrow for "House and Lifestyle" with Elaine M and Martha Stewart, America's own lifestyle guru's.

Greetings, salutations, Happy Festivus, and kudos to all and sundry.[img]********server4.uploadit.org/files2/130104-BabyInso.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Insomniac; Jan 14, 2004 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:39 PM
Veteran

Well, I went and took a crack at it, i did not have the necessary tools or nothing, but i got it to work just fine, good enough for me! I used a pair of cheap ole scissors, electrical tape, and my teeth. I used the scissors to break the rubber on the cable, then removed it, i did not break the wires, just enough strength applied, then i cut colors one and three. I took the color 1 and crossed it with color 3 and white 1 with white 3. To cross them I just used my teeth and got the insulation from the wire down, around 1/4 an inch, then twisted it up real good, then using electrical tape i taped each cross, then just used electrical tape on the working area of the wire to make it stay together better and i didnt wanna see the individual wires. and as of right now i am able to get into my xbox without a router and only one ethernet card (my cable modem is plugged up by the USB, i get the same speeds either way i go though). I am only able to fxp at around 500kbs, but that is good enough for me, I dont believe i would get much faster with a factory crossover cable. i have a stock xbox hard drive and that will work on the streaming media servers and uploaded new applications, which is all i wanted it for.
That is how i turned a normal ethernet cable into a crossover cable without all the right equipment. No RJ45 connector or crimper, or none of the "professional" stuff.
just letting ya know so if anyone wants to know an easy way to do it, that is how.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Well, I shall say well done. However, if you start experiencing data degredation and corruption when transfering across the network, you know where to look for the problem.