CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 07:43 PM
Veteran

Default recover lost xls file and why hundreds of idx files?

These two may be connected but I have lost a huge xls file with thousands of entries which will take me weeks to replace. Any suggestions as to how to recover it from my hard drive? I did not knowingly delete it, it was too valuable but I had hundreds of .idx files in a folder and deleted them and now they have reappeared- hundreds of them. I have searched google to try and find what these idx files are but it isnt too clear, any help here? Please be patient with me cos this is a major catastrophe and my head is upside down. I am running windowsXP if thats any help.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 07:55 PM
Veteran

First things first have you looked in the recycle bin? If you accidentally deleted it with all the other files you might find it in there and simply be able to restore it? Or was it too big for the bin ...

The idx extension is associated with LOTS of progs, what size of files are they and what sort of filenames? Have a look through some of the lists given [url=***********.google.com.au/search?q=idx+file+extension&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=]here and see if you can nail it down at all.

You might run msconfig (or some XP startup tweaky things seem popular) to have a looksee whats running and try to find out where these idx files are coming from but I guess thats for a later date.

HTH
Old Jan 12, 2004, 09:06 PM
Veteran

Yes, the recycle bin has no xls files that I am looking for. The idx files have names like this CA0D. IDX; CA0E.IDX;CA0F.IDX etc. etc. Size 32bytes, size on disk 4.0 kb. I have searched this forum and tried almost all the programmes suggested but not one .xls file is there that I need. I did a full backup with NTI backup before the files went missing but it doesnt seem to hold and xls files on the 10 discs i needed for back-up.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:27 AM

Hi,

Just post to hope this will help in the future.

I think you can try a utility called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel xls file. It works rather well for my corrupt Excel xls files. Its web address is ***********.datanumen.com/aer/

Alan
Old Apr 07, 2009, 12:16 PM

There is a good tool which works with excel files-[url=***********.recoverytoolbox.com/excel_unable_to_read_file.html]Excel showing this file does not in a recognizable format,also tool is free as far as i know,application save important information,such as graphics,statistic and mathematics,program will help you to recover valuable information and avoid its losses,tool scans your broken worksheet,then gets the data from this document,will help you to repair damaged files in Microsoft Excel sheet recognizable format,repair file Excel this file is not in a recognizable format, Excel showing this file does not in a recognizable format, or Microsoft Excel worksheet this file is not in a recognizeable format, it is an Excel file error: data may have been lost: Microsoft Excel impossible read file,tool performs a scan of your corrupt excel files not recognizable format and attempts to recover all available data.
Old May 13, 2009, 11:47 PM

Default Re: recover lost xls file and why hundreds of idx files?

Hi,
If you are not getting your .xls file than you need [B]Excel Repair[/B] tool that recover and repair your .xls files. When you search on google you got number of such tools. Even though I would suggest Stellar Phoenix Excel Recovery tool. Try the demo version first from here: [B]***********.repair-excel-file.com/[/B] and if you are able to view your excel files as they were earlier then you go for the full version.

Have a good luck.

David
Closed Thread