CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:14 PM

Default Please Help The New Guy With His Dvd Burning Software

sponsored links

OK I am a new guy to this whole DVD burning genre. Right now I am using the DVD X COPY Platinum suite. It is working fairly well but as I am sure everyone knows it is somewhat limited as you can not make multiple back ups of one dvd. In addition the software is very buggy, judging from the DVD X Copy forums this software will clash will almost all DVD burning software programs. Right now I don't have any other programs loaded as I am fearful that doing so will create conflicts and then I won't be able to burn any DVD in the future successfully. Yeah I am paranoid. But I also know there has to be a more efficient was of making back ups than the one at a time method employed by DVD X Copy.

So what I am looking for is the following:
1. Software that is easy to use - I am very limited in my PC knowledge
2. Offers some pretty decent support (DVD X Copy doesn't even come with an instruction manual
3. Somethng that is not going to corrupt my entire system and require me to do a complete restore and ultimately go back to using X Copy
4. Software that is univeraslly recognized as good stuff

I know if I scour the boards I can find some answers to my questions but I believe if I throw it out in this manner, the feedback returned is always excellent.

Thanks for the help
Kabal152
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:01 PM
Veteran

Grab yourself a copy of DVD Shrink (freeware) at ***********.dvdshrink.org/#
and a 28 day trial copy of Nero6 at ***********.nero.com/en/631898252770313.html

..... you wont be disappointed.

Last edited by PhilEnfield; Jan 14, 2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:36 PM
Veteran

DVD shrink is excellent and it's free it also has an excellent online graphical tutorial that is simple to follow.

you could also try the combo of Clone DVD ( the one by elby) and anyDVD this is about the simpiliest set up I have seen and produces excellent results both can be used as free trial to determine if you like them.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 02:10 AM
Veteran

I agree. DVD Shrink has alot of great options and produces great results. It is legal freeware. Outside of burning it will do everything you want. All you need is a standard burning program (ie Nero, Recordnow Max, Alcohol 120%, ect.) that is capable of burning DVDs. DVD Shrink will remove the copy protection, rip, compress, re-author (pretty much whatever you want to do). To make things easy, just go into "My Documents" and create a new folder. Label it VIDEO_TS. When you go into DVD Shrink and get everything setup the way you want, just select that VIDEO_TS folder as your destination folder and let DVD Shrink work it's magic. When it is finished, go into your burning program of choice and burn the VIDEO_TS folder to disc. That is all. For movies that require high levels of compression I do recommend using the Deep ****ysis feature in DVD Shrink. It takes longer but actually improves the quality of the backup (yes it is a noticeable difference).
Old Jan 15, 2004, 03:30 PM

Right now I don't have either program (Shrink or Nero) loaded on my PC. Because DVD X Copy is so DAMN buggy, do you think it will screw up my system. I am just so paranoid about messing something up and the DVD X seems to be somewhat unreliable when you add other burning software.

Thanks folks,
David
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:52 PM
Veteran

If you are worried, why not uninstall DVD X Copy first.
Then install DVD Shrink and Nero 6 or RNM, whichever you prefer.

If you are unhappy with the results, you can always uninstall both and put DVD X Copy back ..... but I dont think you will want to.