CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:31 AM

Default Have I been had ? (RITEK / SONY DVD'rs)

sponsored links

This week I ordered 100 infiniti 2x Dvdr's (Ritek Dye) from a UK website. When they arrived I checked the disc ID I was surprised to find that they were 'Sony' (although the delivery note that came with them also stated 'RITEK'. Checking back to the website they had changed the description of the discs to 'SONY' !
Not too happy I called the websites customer services and they told me that although the ID of the discs were 'SONY', the dye was actually 'RITEK' as 'SONY' had been in partnership with Ritek to create these discs. This being the case I asked why they had changed the description on the website to 'Sony'. I was told that this was because they had received a new batch of discs that were NOT Ritek anymore but actually SONY !
So according to customer services both the ID's for these discs would both give 'Sony' although my discs are actually Ritek and the new batch are SOny !

Incidentally, the colour of my discs look nothing like the deep purple of any Riteks Ive ever seen and on burning a few I have found them to be of inferior quality to any Ritek discs I have ever used (freezing / skipping towards end of discs)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this transaction ? Ever heard of this partnership between SONY and RITEK.

Basically the website are refusing to refund me on the basis that I have been sent what I ordered.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 07:04 AM

Hi there

I that the same thing on an order from LOTD.
I used to order Infiniti RITEK DVD-Rs from them, no problem, great disks.
They went out of stock and on reappearing on the website ordered some more from them. Still stated they were RITEK, but checked them and found them to be SONY.
Send them back, noticed now that they have changed the description on their web site.

SONY and RITEK are not the same..RETURN THEM

Last edited by brianc; Jan 15, 2004 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 07:18 AM

I might totally be wrong but i'm pretty sure sony does not make dvd-r. I remember reading that somewhere, and that any dvd-r with sony ids are actually dodgy taiwan crap.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:22 AM
Veteran

Take them back, tell them that they false advertised, then lied to on the phone. Cause sony is not partnered with ritek. They changed it probably because too many people found out there litle scam. Threaten them, if they dont want to refund your money, then dispute the chardges with your cc company. Too many damn websites advertising false sh1t and getting away with it.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:26 AM

I pretty much thought I was being bullsh*tted to by customer services. Yes it was Lordofthedeals.co.uk. I add that the customer services person was very unhelpful - moaning at me that she has 300 emails per day and that was why she hadnt responded (funny how they responded quick enough when I sent my order).

I asked her if there was anyway to tell the difference between an Infinity Ritek Disc (SONY ID) and an Infinity Sony Disc (SONY ID). She told me 'no, not really...'.

What a load of crap ! 1st time I have bought from Lordofthedeals and most DEFINITELY the last time. Will stick to digitalpromo and svp.

Last edited by bigbilly; Jan 15, 2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Tell them that you are a member of several on-line DVD Forums and if they do not exchange/refund you, then you will be posting details of their false advertising/unhelpful attitude, on all of them.

That may just bring your email to the top of the pile

You have nothing to lose, but they may consider their reputation/future business with thousands of potential customers, from the Forums.

Last edited by PhilEnfield; Jan 15, 2004 at 01:30 PM.