CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 02, 2004, 05:24 PM

sponsored links

Odd that, because I've been able to burn these at 8 speed on a hacked Pioneer A07 with no issues at all. Which for a 2 speed disc is fairly impressive, lol. I've even supplied around 50 of these, written at 8x, to a guy at work whose DVD player is an absolute sod and these are one of the few discs that play correctly (in the past I've had to use G04 at 2x which has annoyed me no end, and I was impressed with the Ritek compatibility at that point!!)

They are not Riteks, no way, they are in fact manufactured by Prodisc which I guess doesn't sound so good.

If Lord Of The Deals have been advertising these as Ritek, then I agree that TBH trading standards want to be called in really.

Never mind. I've actually found these to be a cracking deal at 22p each (advertised as Sony now) but it seems their reputation has taken a huge hit here.

Last edited by jase; Mar 02, 2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 02:43 AM
Veteran

"I've even supplied around 50 of these, written at 8x, to a guy at work whose DVD player is an absolute sod and these are one of the few discs that play correctly"

I guess you dont like this guy ..... Am I right ?
He's gonna be a bit disappointed in 6-12 months time, when all the data has disappeared aint he ?

I know everybody wants a bargain and fully agree with the principle "why pay more than you need", but cheap disks are bad news.
Most newbies mess with them for a while and learn the hard way, but you wont find many experienced or long term users, wasting their time with them.
I was speaking to a trader on BST recently, who told me blatantly that he uses any old cheap crap, when selling, but only uses the best for his own use.

I dont want to get into an argument about whether Ritek are better than Princo, but I know which ones I would choose, irrespective of my burner.
If a burner has problems with known good media, it's more likely the firmware is at fault... not the Burner.

Last edited by PhilEnfield; Mar 03, 2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 04:23 AM

Quote:
I guess you dont like this guy ..... Am I right ?
He's gonna be a bit disappointed in 6-12 months time, when all the data has disappeared aint he ?
That's a standard response when faced with the idea that a disc that's apparently no good turns out to burn rather well with another writer/firmware....

I've carefully tested the discs I've written, and found that the low-level error rates -- the major cause of failure 6 months down the line -- are low. I'm fairly confident, and will replace the discs if I'm wrong.

You don't know any more than I do how long these discs will last. If you're basing your theory on other brands, that's a pretty poor basis for an argument if you ask me.

However, given that Prodisc media has been shown in one survey to outlast Ritek in accelerated aging tests, I respectfully disagree with you

Quote:
Most newbies mess with them for a while and learn the hard way, but you wont find many experienced or long term users, wasting their time with them.
I trust you're including me in the small number of the latter here rather than being patronising. I was telling people to look at the ATIP on CDRs when everyone on here was referring to "Memorex are crap, Nugen great" etc.

Last edited by jase; Mar 03, 2004 at 04:28 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 07:22 AM
Veteran

Well ... like I said, I don't really want to get into argument about this and was certainly not being patronising my friend, but I do feel that it is necessary to put the record straight.
I dont hear anyone else singing the praises of Infiniti disks, in fact there are 2 users on this thread alone, who have had issues with them and would not agree with your findings. I also had the misfortune to be given one of these in a sample mutipack, which made a good coaster.

You say you are using a Pioneer 107 with hacked firmware, which is a completely different scenario to many users here, who have Pioneer 103's. 104's,105's , 106's and other brands of drive, that are much less forgiving when writing to cheap media. ....."Power Calibration Error ... I hear them cry"

Also many of the cheap brands change their dyes like the weather, so you may well get a good batch today, but next week they may have changed and will be useless, so it would be premature to recommend them based on Brand or your short term useage. That's why most folk stick to Ritek Dye, as it's the dye that counts ....... it doesn't matter what the brand name is.
Ritek isn't perfect, but it is consistent and that's what most people settle for in the end.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 10:31 AM

Just to clarify - not only did Lord Of The Deals falsely advertise these as RITEK, their customer helpline also tried to fob me off with a cock & bull story about a partnership between SONY & RITEK.

To me, the fact that these discs were sh*te was secondary to the above.
Old Mar 03, 2004, 10:33 AM

Yes that does show complete contempt for the customer.

FWIW I wouldn't have risked the discs if they hadn't been 22p each. The fact that they did work for me was an added bonus -- I only bought them in the first place for storing downloaded data RARs, for which seem to be able to get away with anything media-wise.

Last edited by jase; Mar 03, 2004 at 10:36 AM.