CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 02, 2004, 11:59 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I pulled & tugged on the cord & nothing- it still stays red/orange. I had a friend in the electronic repair business check my cord & he says it's putting out what it should.
He says it got to be internal on the powerbook
Anyone know of a place to get a logic board cheap?? I have been pricing them & found them in the $400 + range
Old Feb 03, 2004, 11:08 AM

you want a cheap mac logic board. Good luck mate. Apple keeps thier inventory as tight as possible when it come to spares. that way you need to see a mac certified engineer when a problem occurs and then they get your hard earned cash. I had logic board problems with my G3 once. Had to go to apple in the end as buying off the net was really expensive

Hitesh
Old Feb 04, 2004, 11:08 AM

we had the same prob at work. we bought the damn thing and was well chuffed with it. when it was plugged in the light was orange, as it should be when its charging, but it never went green to say its ready. when we left it in for long enough we tried it, and got nothing. tried it 2 or 3 times then ordered a new battery - and got the same results. luckily it was brand new so we sent it back to apple and got a new one. i know this dontr help any cos ive no idea what was wrong, but for sure its a fairly serious problem
Old Feb 06, 2004, 02:20 PM

Have you tried the frozen battery trick? Works good with 68K Powerbooks.
You take the battery, put it a ziplock bag, freeze it for an hour or so, and then charge it up. Works best with an external charger.
Try at your own risk.
Old Feb 06, 2004, 11:24 PM
Veteran

I haven't tried that but I don't think it would help. I had my friend test it w/ it plugged in & where the battery would make contact - & nothng is going to where the battery makes contact. So basically the power it not making to the battery.
There has to be something screwed up on the board somewhere
Anyone have any schematics for the powerbooks?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 04:13 PM

Same exact problem happened over here - have a TiBook that worked perfectly, left in its case for a whole year, when it was taken out again it showed no signs of life, power adapter was plugged in but the LED showed deep orange/red, wouldn't start up on a charged battery, etcetc.

So it was sent into Apple. Turns out the logic board was fine - the PRAM backup battery had just been drained dry and needed replacing. TiBook PRAM/backup/clock batteries are kind of expensive - $70 to $100 - and "interesting" to replace - [URL=********ftpmac.free.fr/ftp/pbg4ti.pdf]take a look here to see how to do it.

Basically, you have to [carefully] gut most of the machine from the bottom-up, replace it, then put everything back.