CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 01, 2004, 08:47 PM
Veteran

Default I Am Having MAJOR Problems With Internet Explorer! Need Help! [Dell; ; winXP]

I am having [b]MAJOR[/b] problems using Internet Explorer. OK, I will try to list everything it is doing.

First of all, I have the Google toolbar and normally I use it with no problems at all! But, ever since last night, I haven't been able to open Internet Explorer. After I connect to the Internet, I double click on Internet Explorer and it says,

[b]Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.[/b]

So, I called Dell and they told me to right-click on Internet Options and click on the 'Advanced' tab. Then, they told me to check to un-check 'Enable third-party browser extensions'. After I done that, I tried to open Internet Explorer again and it worked.

After it started working again, I noticed that I had lost my Google toolbar, so I downloaded it again. After it downloaded the Google toolbar, I got the [b]Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.[/b] error message again! Does this mean that I can't use the Google toolbar anymore? What has caused this to occur and can I fix it so that I can install the toolbar and use it again without getting the IE error?

Also, when I un-check the 'third-party browser' box and get IE to work, I have another problem: When I type in something to search in the Address bar, it takes me to www.search-direct.net However, use to when I searched for something, it searched using Yahoo. How do I get it back to search using Yahoo?

And, for the final problem: I can't use System Restore. I have tried restoring my computer using 7 different dates and it says that it cannot be restored! Can ANYONE, ANYONE help me? I am DESPERATE!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 10:31 PM
Veteran

It sounds like your Browser's search function has been hijacked. This is becoming a common everyday occurance with those who use the extremely vulnerable Internet Explorer for which these exploits are scripted.
One possible quick fix is to hope that the hijacker is a variant of the notorious Coolwebserch hijacker and blow it away with the CWS Shredder utility that can be found here......

***********.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html

Another possible option is to delete any BHO (Browser Helper Object) in Internet Explorer that you are unfamiliar with.............Tools>>Internet Options>>>Settings>>>View Objects. But then there are Registry entries to contend with also.

You may also run Spybot Search & Destroy for some help in removing search hijackers after you download and update the program.

For more information on Hijackers and Removal, visit Spywareinfo where you can download the program [B]Hijackthis[/B] and post your logs in the forums for assistance.
***********.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

Last edited by BlackDiamondJr; Feb 01, 2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 10:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by BlackDiamondJr [/i]
[B]It sounds like your Browser's search function has been hijacked. This is becoming a common everyday occurance with those who use the extremely vulnerable Internet Explorer for which these exploits are scripted.
One possible quick fix is to hope that the hijacker is a variant of the notorious Coolwebserch hijacker and blow it away with the CWS Shredder utility that can be found here......

***********.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html

Another possible option is to delete any BHO (Browser Helper Object) in Internet Explorer that you are unfamiliar with.............Tools>>Internet Options>>>Settings>>>View Objects. But then there are Registry entries to contend with also.

You may also run Spybot Search & Destroy for some help in removing search hijackers after you download and update the program.

For more information on Hijackers and Removal, visit Spywareinfo where you can download the program [B]Hijackthis[/B] and post your logs in the forums for assistance.
***********.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/ [/B]
Well, I have run Hijackthis, Ad-aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy and I still have the problem. As for the BHO, I have no idea what NONE of them means. I am not too familiar with computers except for typing and surfing the net. lol Thanks for your information. Any other ideas?
Old Feb 01, 2004, 11:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ThreeD [/i]
[B]Well, I have run Hijackthis, Ad-aware and SpyBot Search & Destroy and I still have the problem. As for the BHO, I have no idea what NONE of them means. I am not too familiar with computers except for typing and surfing the net. lol Thanks for your information. Any other ideas? [/B]
I'm afraid any other ideas would require detailed editing of your Registry to restore the keys for:
"Search Bar"
"Search Page"
"Use Search Asst"
"Search Assistant"
in various locations in your System Registry.

Maybe BHODemon might provide some relief.........

***********.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

Last edited by BlackDiamondJr; Feb 01, 2004 at 11:10 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 02:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by BlackDiamondJr [/i]
[B]I'm afraid any other ideas would require detailed editing of your Registry to restore the keys for:
"Search Bar"
"Search Page"
"Use Search Asst"
"Search Assistant"
in various locations in your System Registry.[/B]
Do you know how to do that?
Old Feb 02, 2004, 08:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ThreeD [/i]
[B]Do you know how to do that? [/B]
Personally, yes I do.
It is a rather lenghty, detailed and messy operation usually recommended for experienced users only to restore the many changes inflicted on the registry by Browser Hijackers.
The changes are made in multiple locations in the Registry and in some cases the original value of the Registry Keys would have to be known beforehand in order to restore them.
Just last week I was personally hijacked twice, but luckily I was familiar with the hijacker, which was also accompanied by a trojan, so it only took about a half an hour each time to restore the original Registry settings.

That's the reason that utilities such as [B]HijackThis, CWS Shredder and BHODemon[/B] were scripted. They automatically make these changes for you in a matter of seconds.

However, I've seen hijacks on friend's systems that were hopeless to undo and required a clean format and reinstall. At which point I would advice them to use a browser other than Internet Explorer as these hijackers are written to target the many exploits available in Internet Explorer.