CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 04, 2004, 10:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

sponsored links

I had a look and noticed one of your recent posts on networking.

I certainly hope you aren't trying to format while being connected to an active network!

Uninstall firewalls, network connections, antivirus etc and then it will format.

Either that or wait for Snapper to log on.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 12:37 AM
Veteran

I already had the 180gb (its a 180 not a 160 like i said b4) installed on my main pc for DLing, but i figured id set up a separate pc to DL on. So, i installed the 180gb WD on a PCI ATA100 card - i set it as master with no slave and put it on ide 1 on the promise card (no slave is present). I flashed the card with the newest BIOS too but that didnt help. When i boot up, it sees it in the POST. When windows boots i go into explorer and it sees the drive (it has F: ) . But when i click to explore it it waits and then gives me that error. I searched on google and got the same thing u said - that it was a network error.

I also tried after every possible thing to set the 180gb WD as a slave on the Motherboards IDE (with the main HD (40 gb WD) - and still the same problem happens. I dont know what could possibly be the problem. Ive built a bunch of computers and have never seen this before. So, while I may be an idiot for talking to SNAPPER (lol) ...im not an idiot with computers lol
Old Feb 05, 2004, 12:50 AM
Veteran

First big mistake.

ATA 100 cards don't support drives bigger than 137GB. Only ATA 133 do.

You should be able to get around this by installing SP1 which supports a couple of terabytes.

I'd wait for Snapper, he's normally Snappy.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:16 AM
Veteran

ok - that would make sense then...

what if i cant install SP1? When I attempt to update my WINXP PRO to SP1 on the microsoft site it wont let me because my product key number is not valid or something.......not sure why that would be

Last edited by NickiSixx; Feb 05, 2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:27 AM
Veteran

Sorry, we can't really discuss ways to circumvent product activation or serial numbers as it's against forum rules.

I'm sure you'll find a way around this on your own.

See if you can get SP1 on cd or download from a site somewhere, although it might do the same thing.

Good luck.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:37 AM
Veteran

Snappy is here!! There are key codes that will work, but as mentioned by Inso, we are not allowed to discuss that here, just do a little research, I am sure you will find what your looking for.