CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 03, 2004, 03:57 PM

Default do schools really monitor your downloading?

sponsored links

I just brought a laptop. My school has a broadband connection, and I have a dial up connection at home. I have kazaalite and was hoping to download some mp3s with it on my school's broadband connection. But they have a sign that reads, "We will monitor your internet activities." I was thinking, "Heck, it's not ****, but just a couples of mp3s". So I was wondering, can they REALLY monitor me. Should I even consider downloading music on campus. Thanks for reading.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:08 PM
Veteran

in short,

Yes, any decent NAdmin will be able to monitor both what sites you are going to, what ports you are using, and alot lot more than that.

No, unless you a: think the admins are useless and are just bluffing or b: you don't care if you get kicked out.

Certainly in the U.S the RIAA has brought actions against plenty of students for downloading MP3's.

you make your own decision, personally I'd say it would be safer to get a bb connection at home and pay for it.

T.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

No, they put the sign up as a joke.

Off course they can. The recording industry is putting a lot of pressure and scaremongering on people who share files.

Anyway, Kazaa is dying a slow death. The Australian makers Sharman, have issued an ultimatum to GOOOOOGLE to remove Kazaa Lite from their search results.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:33 PM
Veteran

[B]I was thinking, "Heck, it's not ****, but just a couples of mp3s". [/B]

I think your Admin would be happier if you download **** instead of MP3

While not havin a go or poke at anyone, too many have the impression, its their notebook, so its fine to do whatever they like, but the heart of the matter is, they are accessing the internet using a campus network, anything illegal done within this network, are the responsibility of the campus, as well as the individual.
You cant blame the Admins for blocking ports or putting signs up, they are simply doing their job, and more importantly, protecting it.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:38 PM
Banned

Depends really, UCLA dosen't monitor your activity because they are short on staff, really depends on what school, and who your admin is.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by duffy90210 [/i]
[B]I think your Admin would be happier if you download **** instead of MP3 [/B]
I think everyone would be happier, especially me.