CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 04, 2004, 07:03 PM
Veteran

Default Zone Alarm query ?

sponsored links

I've used ZA for about 3 years now and recently installed the latest version.
I did a security check [URL=********security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true &plfid=23&pkj=FNXPTGXIBVEMBQAUWZK]HERE and the 'Hacker Exposure Check' and the 'Trojan Horse Check' results shows that some of my ports are open and some are closed.
The last time i ran the security check (several months ago) it showed all my ports to be as 'stealth'.
I understand that this is the best protection against trojans and hackers.

I re-installed the older versionof ZA to see if it was the newer version that wasn't as good as the previous one but i still get the same security risk results.

Can anyone explain why my ports are now being shown as open and closed and whats a good free alternative.

thanks
Old Feb 04, 2004, 09:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

The default installation of Zone Alarm should be in stealth mode as long as you haven't given a program access as a server or set up custom rules.

If you are using the standard version and not the Pro, then it's not very good, although better than nothing.

The best place to test your firewall is [url=***********.grc.com/default.htm][b]GIBSONS[/b].

If you still want to change firewalls, [url=***********.grc.com/default.htm][b]AGNITUM[/b] is regarded as the best. It's not free, but you can get a demo.

As far as the free ones, try [url=***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=267703][b]THIS[/b] recent link for suggestions.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 12:00 PM
Veteran

thanks for your help.
I've tried the trial version of ZA Pro and Sygate and both give roughly the same results as the free version of ZA.
The only program that is ticked to allow access as a server is 'generic host' which i assume i have to allow to be able to surf the internet.
What is puzzling me is the fact that all ports used to be shown as stealth and aren't anymore even though my settings etc (as far as i'm aware)are still the same.
I'm going to try Agnitum,although i would have liked to have found out why ZA is no longer giving me the protection that it used to do.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Did you check it at Gibsons and if so, what was the result?

BTW, you don't need any program to act as a server unless you are sharing files like on messenger etc.

I have no listing for generic host on my pc, unless yours is set up different.

To allow access to the internet, all you should need is to allow access to your browser and that's it.
Old Feb 05, 2004, 03:55 PM
Veteran

Thanks mate for all your help.
I tried a free version of Agnitum which still gave me poor results from the Symantec security test.
Anyway i've now unistalled Agnitum because as i have limited computer knowledge i found it a little difficult to understand.
I'm now back with ZA (free version) and i'm obviously still getting the same results from Symantec saying that most of my ports are closed rather than stealth and ports 21,80 and 1090 are open.
I've also used the 'Shields Up' test from the Gibsons site and this reports that ALL my ports are stealth.
I think i'm going to stick with ZA because of the fact that i'm used to it and also because Sygate and Agnitum scored equally as bad with the Symantec test.
I'm just not at ease now which results to trust and which are most accurate between Symantec and Gibsons.

Sorry to waffle on
Old Feb 05, 2004, 04:12 PM
Veteran

If gibsons are reporting all the ports as stealth, I'd feel more than confident.

Gibsons is held in the highest regard.

Other companies often report differences as they sell firewalls, Gibson's don't.

I really wouldn't worry personally.