CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:16 PM

Default Really weird network problems! Pls help

sponsored links

Ok i'm on a network in my house. There is a telewest modem connected to a router that has two of my house mates downstairs connected. This is connected to a hub upstairs which has me and two other housemates on it.
I along with most of the others are using windows XP.

There are several problems though i imagine they're related:

Everyone in the houses connection works fine except mine. I can see everyone else on the network but when I try to copy off anyone it goes at a ridiculously slow speed (about 5kbps is my guess) but when the others copy off me it seems fine.

I can download at normal speeds from the internet and the connection with the internet seems fine (if not a little slower than the others) now but before when i was connected directly to the router it was very very slow.

When I play wolfenstein ET (a fun game that i've got into recently) I get a server disconnected message every 15 mins or so. My housemate who has exactly the same game (as in he DLed it from my computer) has no problems whatsoever. My ping in the game is very low though even at the point i get disconnected for 'unknown reason'.

So far I have tried updating windows XP, updating all drivers for all devices, swapping network cards and for wolfenstein reinstalling the game.
All of this has had no affect. Interestingly though I also tried swapping the cables for the hub to the router with the cable from the hub to me. Oddly everyone elses internet connection remained the same but mine became slower!!!??? makes no sense if you think about the cables that were swapped as if my individual cable had been faulty then everyone's connection should be slow.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 02:43 PM
Veteran

would you by any chance be running norton antivirus/systemworks 2002?

If so i may have the solution?

Quote:
Solution:
After a productive session with MS, it turns out that Norton AntiVirus 2002 was the culprit.
Antivirus 2002 adds a registry value that prevents shared access.

Here's what worked for me...

-->CAUTION: YMMV: backup this registry key; create a restore point (XP pro)<--

You need to edit the registry to fix this. The registry entry is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters]

You'll see a value called:

IRPstackSize

It will be set to some value between 4 - 12 (in decimal) usually. Edit the IRPstackSize key and delete the numeric VALUE (not the key).

Now all is well
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:13 PM

Have you tried swapping the NIC card also? I have had those problems with NICS in the past. You could try changing the media type for the NIC from AUTO to 100 full or half to see if that helps. Also, if you have systemworks 2002, uninstall it. It does more damage than good. Stick with just their antivirus products. IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:43 AM

not using any of the programs mentioned. I use zone alarm but it's the same wether it's on or off.
Think it might have something to do with the length of the cable. It sounds weird but it's the only thing i can think. Maybe the signals very weak and some packets are getting lost. Not sure if this is even possible though I'll do a few tests.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 01:59 PM

CAT5 ethernet can go 300ft without attenuation. i highly doubt it is the length unless you are exceeding that.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:51 PM
Veteran

ok i think i may know what it is:

try this:

***********.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=1557

of course back up your registry blah blah blah, you are responsible if things go pear shaped.

Last edited by nimbles; Feb 18, 2004 at 01:59 PM.