CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:25 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Memorex DVDR's are just as crappy .... stay well clear.

Stick with Riteks
Old Feb 16, 2004, 06:17 PM
Veteran

Dont know how cheap he means as i haven't looked but you can get infiniti dvdrs here ***********.cd-rmedia.co.uk/index.mhtml for 28p each not that id buy them but dont think they'll be cheaper than that
Old Feb 16, 2004, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by alexhho [/i]
[B]So Sony is not a good media? I'm in the US and the local Staples store has a 10 pack 4x Memorex dvd for $10 and $15 for a Sony brand. I know that Memorex are really bad with their cdrs, but I don't know about their dvdrs' quality. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks. [/B]
Do yourself a favor and don't buy media from stores. Memorex are not very good. They use the CMC dye (generally speaking) and are all over the place with compatibility (work great for some and like crap for others). You can get 4x Ritek DVD-R from www.newegg.com in a 50 pack for $47 shipped. You can get 4x Riteks in a 25 pack for $27.50 shipped from www.meritline.com The advantage to getting Ritek is that they manufacter thier own dye so you never have to question which dye you are getting on your discs, unlike the name brand discs in stores which change out thier dyes periodically. So while you find a media from a store that you think is great, you may eventually end up getting a batch with an inferrior quality dye that isn't so great. So order Riteks and always get a quality dye. If you are dead set on buying media in stores, check out CompUSA or Fry's and get some Apple DVD-R discs. They are expensive but like Ritek they manufacter thier own dye so there is never any guesswork as to what is on the disc you are buying. Apple are about as good as it gets in terms of quality/compatibility. Outside of Taiyo Yuden they are probably the best dye out there.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 09:44 PM
Veteran

Can't see the point of buying stuff online. Got a bloke who I can just call anytime between 9am-11pm and just cruise around, pay cash and pickup whatever I want for about the same price or cheaper than any online retailer.

Cheapest decent discs I have used were Gigastorage, which are around 85% the price of a G04, so not that cheap really.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:08 PM

I thought Memorex was crappy too but I bought a pack of 15 DVD-Rs and they turned out to be Ritek G03's with purple bottoms.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:15 AM
Veteran

Yeah. . . .THIS WEEK!!!!! The point is that name brand discs change out their dyes periodically so you never know what dye you are getting from batch to batch. So just because you got Ritek G03 dye on your current batch of memorex discs DOES NOT mean that you will necessarily get the same dye on the next batch of discs. Memorex do generally carry the CMC dye which is "iffy" and when you consider that memorex are around $1 a disc when on special and 4x Riteks are about 90 cents a disc on a regular basis it just doesn't make sense to take the gamble with Memorex media when you can just get Riteks and be gauranteed to get the Ritek dye. Oh yeah and the G03 Riteks can be had for 70-80 cents a disc (possibly cheaper if you look around). In reguards to Celtic Druid, that may be the case in your area but here in the US, I have yet to find any retail store that can order Riteks for me, let alone stock them in a store and they certainly couldn't get them to me for 90 cents a disc (USD) or less the way I can from sites here. In your situation I understand why you don't order online but by and large most of us don't have access to such great retail stores and so the better deals are almost always online.