CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 16, 2004, 06:22 PM

Default file shareing problem

sponsored links

First let me start by saying I know very little about computers.

Setup
Desktop windows XP directly connected to the DSL modem with built in router
Laptop windows me (I know, but compaq didn't support xp with this laptop, and the fan stops working when you install it) wirelessly connected
DSL works on both computers

I am trying to set up my desktop, and my laptop to share files. I ran the network connection wizard on the desktop and then made the disk and ran it on the laptop. Everything seems to have been completed, but when I select a file or drive to be shared, it doesn't show up on the other computer.

Also when I go to my network places It doesn't have the network mshome there, and if I go to my doc I can't find the shared folder. Why is this?

Last edited by gratefulme; Feb 16, 2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 08:23 AM

without running the network wizard, try just right clicking the folder and choose sharing. Share it that way and it should create the share. Also, try to make both computers a member of the same workgroup.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:09 AM

I have selected the c drive to be shared on both my computers. I just don't know how to access them from the other computer. I also don't even know what a workgroup is or how to create one.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:41 PM

well first of all if you are going to share the C drive make sure everyone has permissions. 2nd, you can edit the workgroup by going to system in the control panel and choosing the computer name tab. click change. type in a workgroup name. make one up, just make it same for both pcs. you can view the shares on each machine right through the browser. just type \\computername <- is the name you gave the computer and you will see the shares.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 02:16 PM
Veteran

if you aren't using m$ preferred ICS configuration to access the net, then the the xp firewall is enabled by default, which will prevent any network sharing by default.

goto network connections, double click on the Local Area network, select properties in the box that pops up and select the advanced tab and uncheck the box
Old Feb 18, 2004, 02:40 PM

I dont think the firewall will prevent network resource access though.